Water Press

For discussions related to designing and making ski/snowboard-building equipment, such as presses, core profilers, edge benders, etc.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Juskin

Water Press

Post by Juskin »

A few days ago I was thinking during my physics class and after a lengthy conversation with my grandfather. Two things came up. One was the possibilities of using water in the press tube rather than compressed air. The reasoning behind this was to reduce the possibilities of large and possibly dangerous ruptures (seeing as water is almost a solid and reaching 100psi is quite easy), as well as opening the possibilities to my second inquiry. The use of heated water in the tub during the pressing process rather than a heater blanket.

Any thoughts or comments about the feasibility of performing something like this?
Best regards,
Justin :idea:
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

How would you pressurize it?

There is nothing more dangerous with an air rupture than water. With water the pressure goes away immediately, sure... but then you've got a flooded shop. The forces put on the press frame (which in my opinion is what makes this hobby dangerous) are the same regardless of how you apply the pressure.

My humble opinion is you're trying to re-invent the wheel. Air works and is easy. Water just sets you up for leaks and ruined molds/skis.
sammer

Post by sammer »

This has been discussed before, use search!

The water pressure in my house is 40psi so it is possible to just run it from the tap.
I'm thinking most places have 30psi or so water pressure.
Most demand hot water systems run 30psi max, so using hot water is also possible.
I'd say give it a try.
Reinventing the wheel is not always a bad thing.
Sometimes it leads to innovation, sometimes disaster.
Either way let us know how it works out for you :D

sam
You don't even have a legit signature, nothing to reveal who you are and what you do...

Best of luck to you. (uneva)
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

The good thing is you're thinking and questioning. Is that the Socratic Method? Been along time since college.... anyway.... One thing to think about is if the hose has a minor air leak, you can live with it during the pressing of a ski/board. Not so if you have a water leak. Most of us are using MDF for our molds and when MDF and water meet you get a sponge that doesn't go back to it original shape.
YvesSPDC

Re: Water Press

Post by YvesSPDC »

Juskin wrote: Any thoughts or comments about the feasibility of performing something like this?
Hi,

We got the same idea. I did it last winter, reach 3 bars of 65 degrees Celcius water to start the reaction.

Works perfectly, go some failure at first with the sealing (my fault) and when it explode nothing happens, except some water in the room ...

In my opinion it is a best system than with air, more secure and easier to warm (and keep warm). Did 2 pairs with it last summer.

I can send some pics from home if needed.

Yves,
Last edited by YvesSPDC on Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Skammy

Post by Skammy »

Since this is along the same lines.. I recently saw a company making a press that uses glycol so it could be heated to temperatures higher than water.. Just thought it was interesting
sammer

Post by sammer »

Skammy wrote:Since this is along the same lines.. I recently saw a company making a press that uses glycol so it could be heated to temperatures higher than water.. Just thought it was interesting
Don't really see an advantage to this.
The boiling point of water increases as the pressure increases.
At 40psia water boils at 267f or 131c.

I'm thinking most people here heat to around 80c. (180F)

Not only that but glycol (ethylene or propylene) is nasty stuff. Toxic to central nervous system, organ damage etc.

But hey, if it works for them, who am I to argue.
As long as they are disposing of their waste in an environmentally accepted manner.

sam
You don't even have a legit signature, nothing to reveal who you are and what you do...

Skammy

Post by Skammy »

... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Propylene_glycol

"Propylene glycol is used:
As an ingredient in the oil dispersant Corexit, used in great quantities during the Deepwater Horizon oil spill.[5][6]
As a solvent in many pharmaceuticals, including oral, injectable and topical formulations. Notably, diazepam, which is insoluble in water, uses propylene glycol as its solvent in its clinical, injectable form.[7]
As a humectant food additive, labeled as E number E1520
As an emulsification agent in Angostura and orange bitters
As a moisturizer in medicines, cosmetics, food, toothpaste, shampoo, mouth wash, hair care and tobacco products"

"Because of its low chronic oral toxicity, propylene glycol was classified by the U. S. Food and Drug Administration as "generally recognized as safe" (GRAS) for use as a direct food additive."
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

Toxic or not, it doesn't make much sense to add it for temps under 200 deg
sammer

Post by sammer »

I don't really trust information on wikipedia.
But the msds, http://www.sciencelab.com/msds.php?msdsId=9927239,
would lead me to believe propylene glycol is less harmful than ethylene gylcol.
Still wouldn't (knowingly) ingest it.

sam

holmtech

Re: Water Press

Post by holmtech »

YvesSPDC wrote:
Juskin wrote: Any thoughts or comments about the feasibility of performing something like this?
...I did it last winter, reach 3 bars of 65 degrees Celcius water to start the reaction.

Works perfectly, go some failure at first with the sealing (my fault) and when it explode nothing happens, except some water in the room ...

In my opinion it is a best system than with air, more secure and easier to warm (and keep warm). Did 2 pairs with it last summer.

I can send some pics from home if needed.

Yves,
Yves, I'd really like to see some pics of your system if you have them. This sounds to me like a good way to go.

Thanks!
Powforbreakfast.

Post by Powforbreakfast. »

twizzstyle wrote:Toxic or not, it doesn't make much sense to add it for temps under 200 deg
Coming from a biology major - Toxicity is a subjective word unless it's paired with a "dosage." For example, water is toxic... at a high dosage. Arsenic is toxic... at a very low dosage. Whenever you see the word toxic without accompanying figures, take it with a grain of salt!
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

Don't bump this thread! Water presses are silly!!!

<<<not a fan of water press idea.
Brazen

Post by Brazen »

I guess if you filled it with gravy...
"86% of the time it works 100% of the time".
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

Forget a water press. Image what's going to happen if the tiniest of leaks occur. Anything made from MDF you can kiss good bye. Perhaps if you had a vacuum press and use a water blanket on top (outside the press) as a heat source, maybe. But still, if it leaks you have a big mess.