New design. I want your thoughts

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

SCHÜSS

New design. I want your thoughts

Post by SCHÜSS »

Hi guys.

So here is our new design. I decided to post it up before we press to see what peoples thoughts are. both positive and constructive so we can make the best ski we can, especially as this one is costing us a bit.

The brief:

Slalom ski
Race calibre
115-64-100
Stiff, responsive, huge rebound and grip.

The layup:

Duraclear gloss topsheet 0.5mm (germany)
Red/black Carbon/kevlar hybrid 6oz (Los angeles)
0.6mm GR2 Titanium sheet (China)
Rubber (sb.com)
12mm Meranti core vertically laminated w/ ptex sidewalls (australia)
Rubber (sb.com)
carbon fiber twill 6oz (LA)
carbon fiber twill 6oz 45 degrees (LA)
Rubber (sb.com)
Edges/base with 3oz glass base/edge filler (sb.com)

Our last design that worked very well and wasnt toooo stiff was:

topsheet
kevlar
kevlar 70 degrees
22oz glass
core
22oz glass
18oz glass
6oz glass
carbon
carbon
edges.

The issue with that design was way too much feedback from the snow. We need a much damper ride. edge grip was pretty good but not race calibre. so we are after a stiff ski, that is much more damp, with better edge grip but retains the 'pop' that that design had.

Thoughts please!

SCHUSS
SCHÜSS 2011
doughboyshredder

Post by doughboyshredder »

Curious, why a twill weave instead of a plain?

I don't know for sure, since you have the metal in the layup, but 6oz hybrid may be a little on the light side, especially for a race ski.
SCHÜSS

Post by SCHÜSS »

twill mainly because the roll we get it on is 50" wide and the plain is only 40". The 50" allows us to do one layer and a layer orientated at 45 degrees for torsion.

So you think the hybrid is a bit on the light. interesting. To be honest i haven't delt with the hybrid before so im not too sure. I didn't want to make it too stiff. We decided on the hybrid as we had heard that is a great stabilising layer and the Blizzard 04' GS RS ski uses multiple layers of it so it can't be too bad. The other reason for the hybrid is aesthetic.
SCHÜSS 2011
doughboyshredder

Post by doughboyshredder »

I would think it might be light even if it was pure CF. Roughly speaking CF is the equivalent of about 3 times it's weight in glass. So, 6 oz CF would be close in strength to 18 oz glass. Kevlar is more like 2 times. So if it's 50/50 hybrid then that's only equivalent to 15 oz glass. All rough estimates of course, and I may be a bit off on the kevlar.
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

I made a GS ski w/ similar dimensions,114-68-100 (180cm). A 64 waist is pretty narrow.

http://www.skibuilders.com/phpBB2/viewt ... light=comp

http://www.skibuilders.com/phpBB2/viewt ... light=comp

My ski was not nearly as complicated as your build but I had a similar problem w/ a little too much feedback, but only when really cranking on super hard pack. The ski with the most pressure on it would hop and chatter.

My heal released once during a race because of that. Bummed me out!

What's the ski length and what's the core dims? I'm interested in how you'll get the metal to stick, do you use heat and is the metal treated?

If you want pop give it camber, 12-14mm.