Expert forum: QCM epoxies (Questions answered!)

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

RoboGeek

Post by RoboGeek »

ahh.. nice article!!
I used to be a lifeguard, but some blue kid got me fired.
Cadman

Post by Cadman »

Are there formulas for making epoxies that can help in dampening the skis? I know that the big boys are using foam on the top of the cores and various laminates within the ski to act as damping but I don't know much about the resin formulas.

Last, Do the formulas for snowboards vary from the formulas used for making skis? Skis seem to require alot more shear strength between laminates than snowboards if I am not mistaken.
G-man

Post by G-man »

Most excellent! I'll be sure to pass on a big thank you to Roy when I place my next order. Thanks K's.

G-man
knightsofnii

Post by knightsofnii »

Hoping to make the switch to QCM.

Had a nice lengthy email conversation with Roy, very helpful and answers questions right away.

He hooked me up with sales rep and i'm getting samples, along with that I got some primer that's supposed to help bond this stuff to sidewall.
Have any of you used this primer? Results?
I'm going to do some comparison tests on small mockups
Doug
SHIF

Post by SHIF »

knightsofnii wrote:...I got some primer that's supposed to help bond this stuff to sidewall.
Have any of you used this primer? Results?
I'm going to do some comparison tests on small mockups
Primer??
Do tell. What is this primer? I use QCM epoxy for my ski building, never heard of this primer. My skis have UHMW sidewalls. I roughen the plastic with 40 grit in my belt sander and then do a solvent wash. Seem to bond well but I'm always looking for a better method.

-S
hugocacola

Post by hugocacola »

i have seen that primer in a ski industrie to bond thr tips... i am looking that like a crazy dog..
bigKam
Site Admin

Post by bigKam »

are you referring to chemlok?
knightsofnii

Post by knightsofnii »

I ordered the following:

EMV-0043 resin, ECA-408 hardener, and
the 459T primer. There's also a 459x primer its supposed to have the exact same result just a different composition.
Its from another company that QCM is now a distributor for, to fill some gaps they had with solutions for their customers I would assume.

the primer was 20bucks for a small can. I forget how much. I'll have results after 2 weekends, after we build with it.

Shif, make sure when you sand with that 40grit belt that you wet the belt or the plastic. If you heat the plastic too much it becomes really brittle.
And you should flash it with a flame as well.

I'll let you all know what happens with and without primer, im going to make up some test sections and do some flex and peel tests. The resin/hardner combo I got alone claims to bond real well to ptex as it is. So we'll see.
Doug
energy116

Post by energy116 »

Hi
Tell me what epoxy viscosity will be perfect for the kiteboard? top/bottom heated.
Dan
jvangelder

Post by jvangelder »

Thanks for the artical, between this and the helpfull people at QCM my epoxy is on its way
zeno

Post by zeno »

Today I took my second ski out of the press and it seems like I've really dded up...
When I had finished cutting out the excessive marterials at the sides of the ski i noticed that the topshhet layer had gone off the ski at the boders. The same thing happened with the base and the fibreglass layers.
So I started thinking and trying and came to conclusion that each layer can be teared off easily.
I have really no idea why, because I built the ski as my first one and the first ski doesn't make any problems...
The only thing that is different is that I've added a liquuid to reduce the air in the epoxy but it was about one drop of th air reducing liquid to a half kilo of epoxy(about 1.1 pounds). so I think that can't be the reason.

help me guys!! what went wrong??

here some pics...

http://picasaweb.google.com/zeno.sterz/ ... 7359579122
jvangelder

Post by jvangelder »

What is this liquid you added?

That looks like the delam problems we were having when not either leaving enough epoxy on the edges before pressing or putting it in the press to quickly
Barrel Stave

Epoxy

Post by Barrel Stave »

After building and flying remote control airplanes and being a ski racer I have some clues on epoxy cures when fixing skis.

The Slow cure is the best method when building anything with a resin.

Here is something that I discovered that makes the cure more flexible and softer but just as strong if not stronger. Lead shot pulverized in the cure mix.

There is something in the lead that softens the cure properties but it makes it very strong workable and flexible.
Brazen

Post by Brazen »

Plus, it's SO delicious. I'm just having tea and my last lead/epoxy chip with Hello Kitty.
"86% of the time it works 100% of the time".
ruchika

Re: Expert forum: QCM epoxies (Questions answered!)

Post by ruchika »

would it be helpful to stick the center and everything else together with epoxy that contains (included) cotton chips. the cotton drops are regularly utilized the extent that I realize when building flying machines to improve the adaptability and pliability of epoxy and the materials that are stuck together. the epoxy fills in as the lattice between the material, the cotton pieces improve adaptability and pliability. So ... my supposition is, it would be a more grounded bond and an increasingly solid ski. Am I wrong or could this be right