I can only cut once

For discussions related to designing and making ski/snowboard-building equipment, such as presses, core profilers, edge benders, etc.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

MadRussian

Post by MadRussian »

you'd be asking the 10" beam to do twice the work. +==> no. Two horizontal plates off 1" steel 18"x96" should provide additional rigidity. Also beams can be additionally reinforced with same 1" steel.

Space heater sounds a bit random imho===> yes it is but one has to start somewhere.
Space heater together with Properly made insulated hotbox should provide consistency in temperature....btw I am insulator by trade

Have you thought about underfloor heaters? ===>yes I did but at this point in time it's to early. Probably after a couple dumpster skis gets made.
I was thinking about second hotbox with hot water heating at 160*F for a few days after epoxy dry in the press, this is should provide some consistency.
Richuk

Post by Richuk »

If the 18" plate is supported by one I beam, then two pressurised hoses would be pressing down on the one plate, which is supported by one I beam. So twice the work for the I beam.

You have to be careful post cure, the epoxy is still very soft. If you are going to do this, you may wish to consider a having some means of keeping your camber.
MadRussian

Post by MadRussian »

Richuk wrote:If the 18" plate is supported by one I beam, then two pressurised hoses would be pressing down on the one plate, which is supported by one I beam. So twice the work for the I beam.
if fabricator have another beam appropriate size we will make 4 beams design if not ..... have to go with 3 beams.

You have to be careful post cure, the epoxy is still very soft. If you are going to do this, you may wish to consider a having some means of keeping your camber.
I have to take rain check for discussion about heating/post cure because right now it's way to early.
maybe keeping the skis in the press longer under lower pressure ... don't know yet...maybe underfloor electric heating blankets post cure also under lower pressure ......will see. [/quote]
MadRussian

Post by MadRussian »

MadRussian wrote:
press can be made from 2 20". beams and 2 10" beams. Most likely this is overkill.
how about this design? Fabricator have 20 inch beam long enough for two bottom pieces. it going to be huge and heavy.
Richuk

Post by Richuk »

The way I looked at thing was as follows, build once if you can or as big as your pocket can manage. If your not an engineer, but have read enough from the site then big and heavy means over specification, which gives you peace of mind, provided it is joined together using the right bolts or welding.

You can shave a few edges on press building when it comes to cost and the mongo style press is excellent, as is the fabric press, but if your not sure about specifications and you have the space then big with a stable base is still a valid way to go.
MadRussian

Post by MadRussian »

Richuk wrote: If your not an engineer, but have read enough from the site then big and heavy means over specification, which gives you peace of mind, provided it is joined together using the right bolts or welding.
this is exactly way my press been build.
luckily it was enough beams to make press 20" wide and 99 inches long with open end. 2 H-beams on the bottom and 3 I-beams on top

Press will be complete tomorrow.

What is cavity dimension?I read here people making cavity anywhere from 12 to 16 inches. I thinking 12 or 14 inches high.
What you guys think?
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

That sounds reasonable. Think of it this way...All of your forms (top/bottom), cat tracks, hose need to fit in the cavity with at least 3 inches to spare so you can l slide your layup in w/o problems. I would lean toward 14 inches but.. depends primarily on the size of your top/bottom forms.
MadRussian

Post by MadRussian »

I would lean toward 14 inches but.. depends primarily on the size of your top/bottom forms.==>forms is next step. At this point I have no idea what size thay going to be.
Richuk

Post by Richuk »

I'll do some measuring tomorrow when the hose is inflated - what size hose are you using and how much of a gap do you want?
MadRussian

Post by MadRussian »

after two days of cutting and welding then more cutting and more welding press finished and in my garage :)

dimensions : 99" long 68" high wheelbases 38" wide
cavity 14" high 20" wide. Can make skis up to 200 cm
Last edited by MadRussian on Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

now thats a press!