Base grind necessity

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Alex13

Base grind necessity

Post by Alex13 »

Just wondering how necessary a base grind is on boards, is it pivotal?

I ask because as is often the case with such projects, I'm running very late. I have to pump out 4 boards this week to get testing done before season close on the mountains here. I can do this, but I'm not sure the shop I use can grind them in time.

Can I give them a light sand back to remove any excess epoxy then wax them, how much difference will it make to the board?

I'm assuming the main difference is in the speed of the base?

I will take them to get ground eventually, this is just an option if I'm running low on time.
carnold

Post by carnold »

Hi Alex
I've ridden one of mine both unground and ground and really couldn't tell the differrence. I rode the board unground but waxed in great conditions earlier this season and is went AOK. Then had it ground and went to Buller last weekend on the slush. Couldn't tell the difference but the snow conditions were worlds apart!!!! So a bit hard to compare. I reckon it's better to ride unground than not at all!!!! Chris.
Idris

Post by Idris »

The fastest bases I've ridden of skis I've built were a pair that came out perfectly flat with no epoxy. I gave the edges a light file by hand and was careful not to scratch the base. Perfectly smooth base was soo fast.
doughboyshredder

Post by doughboyshredder »

If your base comes out perfectly flat, you can scrape with a high speed steel scraper and call it good. No wax necessary. In MOST snow conditions.
Alex13

Post by Alex13 »

Thanks all - I'll ride unground, I've managed to get two boards mostly finished but the other two won't be ground in time for the season end.

The bases aren't perfectly flat, there's epoxy on the bottom of both, but they aren't terrible.

Would it be worth hand sanding, or should I leave it in case I stuff the flatness beyond repair?
doughboyshredder

Post by doughboyshredder »

Alex13 wrote:Thanks all - I'll ride unground, I've managed to get two boards mostly finished but the other two won't be ground in time for the season end.

The bases aren't perfectly flat, there's epoxy on the bottom of both, but they aren't terrible.

Would it be worth hand sanding, or should I leave it in case I stuff the flatness beyond repair?
The epoxy won't glide well at all. You can try to hand sand them and then scrape with a steel scraper, but you will need to wax.
Alex13

Post by Alex13 »

Thanks dbs, I've got no problem with doing the work, I just don't have access to a base grinder and the shop I use is too busy to do them this week.