More Monkey business

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Richuk

Post by Richuk »

New cores - Ash, poplar and a dash of maple. Photobucket will rotate these photo's at some point! The idea at the moment is to work out a few of the kinks in the process and to experience a few different materials.

I'm trying this approach to securing the core, the photo shows the base covered in tape and the core below. I've placed these match sticks so that they will be in line with the cable ties front and aft of the centre and therefore compressed into place before the cassette goes into the press. Superglue. Worth doing - the dowel is a pain to prepare and a bit annoying.

I didn't clear the tape from the edges like I should, so I've paid the price with epoxy on the base : (

This photo gives the impression that the match has deformed the profile, but its just a trick of the light. Discussed and explained further : )

http://www.skibuilders.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2502

With a further process development.

http://www.skibuilders.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2492

viewtopic.php?t=2522

viewtopic.php?t=2194

I've been reading some old posts - splat, cadman and kwetsor. Not forgetting Iggy skier - asks a series of important questions throughout his posting.

I found this http://www.swellpanik.com/uk/ when looking through exotic, a GREAT VIDEO - how many question does it answer!!! Another http://www.tvmountain.com/index.php?opt ... deo_id=557

Working on graphics at the moment ... rice paper, encapsulating film, laminate and then print. The film was free and the small scale samples work, so I just need to make these things bigger. Encouraged by what Chrismp has said about the effect of epoxy dye. Max on the film so far is 250 mic. Thinking of this as good enough, great for free, but not a final solution.
Last edited by Richuk on Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
Richuk

Post by Richuk »

I'm still working on these, but as you can see the core remained in place.

And for my next trick .... I will send laminated rice paper through my printer (Epson Stylus DX3800) and create a topsheet. It won't do a full length, so I've worked around it. In reality this is just a test piece - the rice paper is only covered by a laminate that is 47 mic. No good as even a temporary topsheet, but it does prove a process. I have a few free samples heading my way, 250 mic, which should be good enough as a temp cover.

Hmmm ... still haven't produced a good ski yet and the graphics are a bit pants :oops:
Last edited by Richuk on Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

Is your native tongue the English language?

From all your posts it looks like you have built over ten pair?

I'm confused.

Oh, your french?

Thanks for the pics.
Richuk

Post by Richuk »

Yeah ... I made them nice and big :D

I've made four pairs, but they have been made in sets of two, so I can compare the effect of different materials.

You think I'm French ...
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

woops ifg you are a uk then that was bad. sorry.

well this is the best video ever for building and I have very little idea what exactly he is saying.

http://www.swellpanik.com/uk/

Important stuff I assume.

This guys glasses are very weird. Well that's one way to do a press but why?
http://www.tvmountain.com/index.php?opt ... deo_id=557
THnaks
Richuk

Post by Richuk »

Yeah, the whole process is so simply - refined down to the minimum amount of work for a great finish. Not so interested in press in either video. That whole press building thing is a headache. I liked the second, another good look at a cassette ... got me thinking. Any experience with cassettes MM?

'All my posts' ... yeah sorry all. I'm a bit too free with my opinions.
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

looks like the cassette can be made 1 meeelion different ways.
I like the way iggy did it.

he took all his pics down. what a shame.

You know whats more impressive than anything is the swell panics obvious mastery of all his material. Its just so easy the way he does everything.
Just the way he moves the veneer around is impressive.

He has made hundreds of boards I would assume.

so at 12:20 it looks like he puts glass over the veneer as a topsheet.
Richuk

Post by Richuk »

I'll watch again - thought it would be underneath. I was expecting polyurethane on epoxy.

7.14 - base goes on crib, t-nuts holding the blank in place. The planner mustn't snipe.
falls

Post by falls »

I met a guy last year who used to work with the swell panik guys. I was looking for bamboo floorboards and stopped in at a flooring shop in a small country town in Australia as I was driving past. Turned out the owner used to build snowboards and was pretty heavy into R and D. I needed to get back to work, but ended up with about an hour of this guy's life story including how he got screwed over by the Quiksilver Rossignol deal and lost millions. I guess that is why he is now working in a floorboard shop in rural australia!
Don't wait up, I'm off to kill Summer....
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

woah crazy. Can you get him to translate the vid for us? LOL
OAC

Post by OAC »

MontuckyMadman wrote: This guys glasses are very weird. Well that's one way to do a press but why?
http://www.tvmountain.com/index.php?opt ... deo_id=557
THnaks
BTW, I think this guy has the key to how to run the core thru a planer without destroying the core and sidewalls. Check 01:00 - 01:13, you barely see the tip but enough to see that it's extended. The reason, I think, it(the extended tip) will hit the feeder rolls before the cutter. I will try it...and come back with the result. I haven't seen it before...
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

so tricky....
Richuk

Post by Richuk »

Damn, gotta feel for the guy!

So how pleased do you think he will be if we start using veneer in the same way ... it would be a tribute right ;)

MM, I saw a vid of ON3P doing a layup, the cassette appeared to have three or four metal blocks either side of the ski to hold everything in place. Is this the one you are thinking about?

A few photo's ... with rice paper, less is more ... photo quality is too much ink. I'm just trying to work out dimensions and create a template

but if I could achieve something in this direction ... keep the graphics towards the tips perhaps ...

Mongo

Post by Mongo »

Richuk wrote: 7.14 - base goes on crib, t-nuts holding the blank in place. The planner mustn't snipe.
Looks to me like a thickness sander and not a planer. We had the same machine in a shop I used to work in and it works beautifully with the typical planer crib setup. Now I want to go buy one for myself.
Richuk

Post by Richuk »

That makes a lot more sense!