New Toy

For discussions related to designing and making ski/snowboard-building equipment, such as presses, core profilers, edge benders, etc.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

heliski989

New Toy

Post by heliski989 »

So on Wednesday we bought a new toy (Winterstieger Microjet Pro), Jeff flew out on Thursday and we moved it.

Thought you guys might like the progress.

We broke it down and pushed the SOB out the door with 1/8" to spare.
Crane arrived.
Rigging
Lift starts

Once we got it back to the new shop in Boulder we started washing and what not.

Now a little more of the boulder shop:

Weeding glass

Video to follow, cant figure it out.
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

wow. Don't know I've seen a better funded op other than dynastar. Do you guys build for other manufacturers?

You make that poor guy pick up glass without gloves or respirator huh? Bummer.

Good luck. Looks really pro.
jeff@shaggys

Post by jeff@shaggys »

That poor guy is heliski989 (Jonathon, my brother) and he never wears anything.
skishaggys.com
heliski989

Post by heliski989 »

Ill start wearing a suit and mask soon. The cut room is air conditioned now... what a godsend!
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

Wow, that thing makes my rickety rust bucket I'm fixing up look like yard art. The display/controls look especially impressive - I'm jealous. Nice work guys!
redbull

Post by redbull »

nice shop + new toy!
curious what you use for cutting your glass? vinyl cutter, small end mill??
heliski989

Post by heliski989 »

It is an autometrix cutter. like this one
http://autometrix.com/products/cutting/m4/
they are designed to cut glass, carbon, fabric, whatever you need!
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

Wow, you guys don't fool around! How many skis are you making per year? Looks like it's not just a hobby. Very nice!
heliski989

Post by heliski989 »

this year we are producing 250+ pair, we have 6 shops carrying a full line up this year. plus all of the direct sale stuff.

www.sccskis.com/presale
falls

Post by falls »

Now I see why you guys drive such big pickup trucks over there!
Don't wait up, I'm off to kill Summer....
Alex13

Post by Alex13 »

Nice work guys. Good to see another builder going pro.

I assume this is now full time work for both of you? At what volume can you turn a profit?

After the last few weeks here in Australia, I've decided my aim is to go full time within 5 years time. Our market is small compared to yours, but the prices we pay for skis and boards here are ridiculous. AU$1199 (US$1040) for boards like the Lib Tech TRS which retails for US$560 in the states. There's a good market here for a quality local builder with reasonable prices.
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

Alex - That's great! I wish you success! There's nothing like making something of your own design and bringing it to market. Hard work but very rewarding. I'd like to do same some day but for now I'll be making them for family and friends. Keep us posted!
heliski989

Post by heliski989 »

We will have to sell 200+ to be in the black, once you run large production #'s the price of tools and all the other stuff really adds up.

I have a friend working @ SX Snow in Cronulla, and he really wants us to send some skis before the end of the season... I am trying but we are not in production yet, were still working bugs out of the grinder, and planer we just purchased.

Hopefully we will have some skis in Aussieland soon, and yeah, they were talking about retailing 1000-1400 au! thats crazy!

Were really looking forward to this season and have some surprises coming up very soon here...
falls

Post by falls »

I was reading transfer snowboard magazine last week alex and there was something in there about a new Aussie snowboard company called massive snowboards. I can't find anything about it on the interweb though. I reckon the 5 year plan is good. Better to iron out the kinks before sales than sending out dodgy boards.
Don't wait up, I'm off to kill Summer....
hjfast

Post by hjfast »

Boulder... colorado? Hmm... Do you guys need any more help? I'm a CU mechanical engineering student. I just finished my BS and I'm getting my MS right now. I'm actually trying to pull off building skis as a graduate project right now. If you need help (I'd be willing to volunteer up to 10hr/wk) email me. hjfast@gmail.com and I'll send you my credentials.

-h