Bear Update.....

For discussions related to designing and making ski/snowboard-building equipment, such as presses, core profilers, edge benders, etc.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

odin

Post by odin »

Ok, finally managed to get some pictures of the machine finished and being packed up........

Here it is all tucked inside itself neatly.

After the contents are unpacked, the box unfolds into the table frame itself. Here it is with all of the ribs in place and it resting on the bench.

Here are some shots of the vacuum pipe assemblies and plenum sections being put in place.

After the table if fully assembled its a matter of bolting the side rails on and rolling the gantry in place.

Then just plug everything in, turn it on and direct the gantry home. Here are some final pictures of everything assembled.

That's it in a nutshell so to speak. Hope y'all dig the pics.

MC
falls

Post by falls »

Looks great Odin. Thanks for the update. Do you have any idea how much shipping to Australia would be?
Thanks for the update.
Don't wait up, I'm off to kill Summer....
chaka

Post by chaka »

Of course this are good news for electronics illiterates like me. Guess shipping this to Spain would be quite expensive, but I am very interested. Please let us know more about shipping costs.
RIDE WITH PRIDE
falls

Post by falls »

What do you recommend to run the vacuum table? Do you use a thin piece of sacrificial MDF over the vacuum table to cut into?
OnDeck

Post by OnDeck »

<drool> I love this.

Can't jsutify it yet, but you will hear from me one of these days.
odin

Post by odin »

Thanks for the comments fellas, I appreciate it.

Did some checking with my shipping broker and managed to get a couple of rough quotes for shipping over the pond and down under.

Without too much to go on I asked for "Port Pickup" for both Spain and Austrailia. Gave the town names for each and they tell me the quote is for the ports closest to those areas. Probably not but....

From us here to Austailia (forgot to get the name of the port) shipping is estimated @ $1500.00USD

From here to Madrid Port, Spain shipping estimate is $1300.00USD

Really, better than I had guessed at first. These were run through UPS as a broker and I am told they would be flown over instead of sent on a boat.

Yes you will need a spoil board or sacraficial surface for the vac table. We recommend the Ultra Light Weight MDF. If not available in your area (like mine) then regular MDF is fine. Would probably want to drill some holes for better air flow and suction with the heavyier MDF, but the machine can do that. 1/2" (12mm) is the thickest you would want.

And On Deck, I am certain that having one of these is indeed justified.......but sadly out of reach for now. I understand, I fought the price increase tooth and nail but just couldn't make it all work. Had to raise the cost to survive.

Let me know if y'all have any more questions, will do my best to answer them.

MC
OnDeck

Post by OnDeck »

Don;t get me wrong, I'm delighted with the price; I'm just too small to justify it.

But hopefully not for much longer.....
falls

Post by falls »

Thanks Odin will keep it in the back of my mind and let it work away at me slowly!
odin

Post by odin »

@ Falls.... No worries I was curious about shipping abroad anyway. This just gave me a destination to ask about.

@ OnDeck.....Just bustin your chops.

Appreciate all of the comments, everyone. Have been working hard on this project.

A bit too hard I suppose, everything else has taken a backseat for now.

Am trying to get caught up and evened out by mid July, but time really does fly when you're having fun so we'll see if I can meet that goal.

Been having a blast building these : )

MC
odin

Post by odin »

Couple of new pics.......

Made some small improvements to the Z axis and router mounts. Also beefed up the X axis drive legs and gave them better belt covers. And last we added a set of legs too.

It all still fits inside of itself for shipping.....

MC
krp8128

Post by krp8128 »

What's the mechanical hardware on this like?

I saw some of the spare parts you posted for sale, those due to design changes?
odin

Post by odin »

Mechanical drive on these....

20pitch/20p. angle gear racks and spur gears on both X and Y axis and ultra-smooth, precision leadscreww for the Z.

The Z screw is 8:1 ratio and uses a nicely made antiback lash nut.

Huge steps up from the older models.

Also a step up is the electronics. We have a more sophisticated control box that is full supported and upgradeable/expandable. We now use 4 -620 oz/in motors as stock set up but these too can be upgraded.

Not all of the old stock items for sale where from our CNC endevours but I felt they could carry over well enough for the sake of selling them all.

MC