Hose Leak - Any ideas?

For discussions related to designing and making ski/snowboard-building equipment, such as presses, core profilers, edge benders, etc.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

iggyskier

Hose Leak - Any ideas?

Post by iggyskier »

We have a leak on the end of one of our hoses. Our spare hose set up is already in use in our other press after one of our first set ups....had a little fire incident.

Anyway, are new hoses are still like a week away and I will probably press 60-70 pairs in that time......

Hose is a 5" diameter hose. Sealed with 3m 5200 fast cure, held together with 1/4" steel bar and 1/2" grade 8 bolts. Somehow the leak has come passed the steel bar and is coming out the end, it seems. We tested it before we put it in the press, saw it had a leak, covered it with more sealant, let it sit 48 hours, tested again, no issue...but alas....apparently we were a bit hasty.

Anyway, anyone have an ideas on how to fix it? Especially something quick. I don't care if it is super temp. It just needs to last a little while...though for us that is a ton of press cycles. Anyway, any help is appreciated.

edit - also, I know we could just cover it with sealant and let it cure correctly and all that. But I honestly do not have the time to wait. We might just have to rock it leak and all for awhile....
KevyWevy

Post by KevyWevy »

is it coming from the outer edge of the hose? or in the middle of the steel bar? if its coming out the edge area where the fold of the hose is and you don't have the bars sticking out a little past the edge with bolts, that might help.

http://on3pskis.com/wp-content/uploads/ ... er-019.jpg

if its like that picture, we had a leak in the corner with a similar setup, but only one hose. we moved the end bolts closer to the edges since thats where it needs the most pressure and that solved out problem. maybe not a quick fix, but it might fix in the long run without having to use more hose, just shorten it an inch or so to re-drill the holes.
doughboyshredder

Post by doughboyshredder »

Gasket material between the hose, so the gasket material is pinched between each side of the hose. That little corner piece can be a pita to get cinched, hence the gasket material. You can even use a piece of the hose itself if you have enough to cut off.
iggyskier

Post by iggyskier »

I will check out gasket material. In the interm...any ideas?

it appears to be coming out along the bolts possibly.....
doughboyshredder

Post by doughboyshredder »

I just left you a message.
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

Are you using flat bars or angle iron? The issue we had that kevin described above wouldn't have been there if we had used some angle instead of just flat bar, keeps the steel from bending at all.
chrismp

Post by chrismp »

yep, maybe you should get angled iron. we don't use any sealant at all and have leak-free bladders.
i guess that would also make for a cheap and easy fix.
iggyskier

Post by iggyskier »

Yep, sounds like that was likely the cause. Not to just continue pressing or take the time to pull it out and fix it this second....
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

If it were me I'd just take the 10 minutes or so to fix it now. A slight hold up now could save you a huge delay later, as the leak is likely to keep getting worse if you don't address it now :(
sammer

Post by sammer »

While this is not what I would do (I would take it apart and fix it right 8) )
but what about tire goop. Seals nail holes in car tires.
They also use it in bike tires to make them tubeless.
Check your local auto parts store.

sam

edit... to add it might not let you let the air out after your done
Oops :?
You don't even have a legit signature, nothing to reveal who you are and what you do...

Best of luck to you. (uneva)
rockaukum

Post by rockaukum »

Angle Iron top and bottom.