base grinder designs

For discussions related to designing and making ski/snowboard-building equipment, such as presses, core profilers, edge benders, etc.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

rockaukum wrote:I believe the old home made base grinder is still posted at TGR under the for sale information?
ra
where?
knightsofnii

Post by knightsofnii »

get a drum, cover it with skateboard grip tape, break it down with a stone, connect it to your favorite bicycle and have your buddy pedal away, he can pull the water bottle off his bike too and periodically spray the belt for you.
Doug
bobbyrobie

Post by bobbyrobie »

so i had a chat with the wintersteiger folks. Not sure if i am going with the 14x59 belt or to go with the 350x2000 belt. which is alittle longer in length.

he recomended the normal type grit belts to get the base flush with the edges, followed by the Trizact belt and finally a Scotchbrite Belt for a nice finish.
nick

Post by nick »

how much will all of that cost? how are you going to use all of that? what are you going to put it on? I guess i'm having a hard time understanding the blueprint of this whole thing. A sander wont do the same thing?
bobbyrobie

Post by bobbyrobie »

Well i am building the machine from scratch i will post cad drawing and such of it after i finish. with a snowboard there is just to much area to grind with a normal belt sander. You most likely could get away with it if you have ski's.

Looking to build this for under 200 bucks, minus the belts.
nick

Post by nick »

sounds cool. are you building it with available products that are able to be obtained by anyone at a hardware store or metal yard etc.?
nick

Post by nick »

I was thinking about this the other day and talking it over with a friend of mine. & he brought up that a floor sander uses the same size of belt. maybe you could use something like that which you could get at a hardware store and just modify the size of the roll to put the paper on something like that. Turn it upside down and mount the motor and everything to some sort of bench. Im sure any type of motor would work and you just need the correct size "roll" and width. Thats basically all you need right?
KevyWevy

Post by KevyWevy »

correct roll, width, grit and water? i have a spare motor sitting around i bought for $20..... hmmm.
nick

Post by nick »

you might have something there buddy. try it out. Let us know how it works out.