Using aluminium hydraulic press as ski press?

For discussions related to designing and making ski/snowboard-building equipment, such as presses, core profilers, edge benders, etc.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

falls

Using aluminium hydraulic press as ski press?

Post by falls »

First time post!
I have access to an indutrial size hydraulic press that is used for aluminium pressing. It is capable of over 100 bar pressure, but can be lowered without hydraulic force being added. The weight of the top part of the press I have been told is about 30, 000kg (30 tonnes, 66000 pounds) and it applies pressure over an area of about 1m by 2m (3200 square inches). Is it fair to say this pressure is about 20psi? (66000/3200)
I was thinking that I would build a bottom and top mould that match exactly (as close as possible) then either coat the top mould with a thin layer of rubber to absorb any inconsistencies or lay a rubber mat over the top of the layup. This has been described in the forums previously as a legitimate pressing option.
To cut a long story short do you think that the resting weight of this large press on my moulds is going to be too excessive.
Thanks for any help.
Idris

Post by Idris »

If memory serves someone on here has done something similar with a veneer press? Might be worth a look through the skibuilding logs.
falls

Post by falls »

Thanks for the tip. I just tried to add the links to those sections so anyone in the future who comes across this thread can be directed, but I haven't posted enough to add links, and the forum ate my post reply.
falls

Post by falls »

My main query in using a top and bottom mould and rubber in between is whether the moulds should be exactly complimentary to each other ie. fit exactly together. My amateurish thought process suggests that once the ski materials are laid up on the bottom mould that the top mould would then not exactly match the contour of the top of the ski as the ski will be different thicknesses along its length.
I have a thought that if I get the bottom mould ribs cut by CNC router then the "scrap" left above could actually serve as the ribs for the top mould. They will be the same contour as the bottom mould but will be one router bit's diameter off matching exactly to the bottom mould. In the pressing process this gap could be filled with the ski materials and a piece of rubber (that would deform to fill varying gap widths) to accommodate any imperfections then pressed from above by the weight of the hydraulic press.
Make sense?
Thanks for any suggestions

I will add links to the other hydraulic pressing threads when I'm allowed to!
falls

Post by falls »