How do I order epoxy from QCM

For discussions related to the type of materials to build skis/snowboards and where to get them.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

nick

How do I order epoxy from QCM

Post by nick »

I tried to email them at the kevin@qcminds.com email but it wouldnt send out. how much is it for epoxy from these guys and about how much will it cost me after shipping? How long does it take to get get to me? Im in colorado.
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

You'll probably have better luck if you just call them.
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

call 9-5 PST You can talk to a tech if you don't know what you want or just place a regular phone order.
nick

Post by nick »

sweet. so does their epoxy work really well? do you guys like them? I've heard of some delamination, which I assume is due to epoxy correct? I just want advice from you guys that know your stuff first hand. You guys would go through them over other epoxies?
jvangelder

Post by jvangelder »

We have made 6 boards so far using QCM's expoxy, i used the 34 and 49 epoxy and hardener if i recall (dont have it infront of me)

I get 24min of layup time before it has to be in the press. Only issue ive had is light air bubbles but thats due to my layup process and not the epoxy.

I had a team rider from a local shop jumping around on our FIRST board (the first one we ever made) and he was pressing, hopping up and doing tailstall's and poping on and off a rail setup in the owners showroom and the board showed no wear tear or stress at all

If people are haveing issues with delam is not the epoxy its got to be something else. Make sure everythings nice and clean and preped for epoxy and you wont have a problem.

The first board has a spot where we didnt cover the base completly with epoxy and you can lift the base off the base fiberglass by hand. i tried to peel it away with some pliers and it just streched the base, stuff holds well

I second calling, i called and talked to tech support one afternoon for close to 45min, very helpfull people over there, and when i need to buy more ill deff be buying it from them

-Jacob
nick

Post by nick »

awesome. so you prefer QCM?
Dr. Delam

Post by Dr. Delam »

I have been using the 49 resin and 408 hardener with success. I have a heat blanket setup and this stuff is designed for curing at elevated temps. I paid $101.98 for a gallon of resin and quart of hardener and this included shipping. This will cover me for 5 pair. I have only had one ski delam and this was due to not prepping sidewalls properly.

The easiest way to reach them is ordering by phone. I think shipping is about a week.
powderho

Post by powderho »

Kevin doesn't work at QCM anymore. You want to talk to Colin or Dave Musick. That's who replied to me when I tried emailing Kevin. I've made two pair of skis using the emv43 resin and the eca 32 hardener. A gallon of resin and quart of hardener put me back about $95 with shipping. Shipping was around $25. I'm pretty sure I will get one more pair of skis out of the gallon. I was looking for a long working time pressing in a non-heated press. Worked like a charm.
jvangelder

Post by jvangelder »

QCM is the only brand ive used but yeah i guess i prefer it. Works great for us and we are really still new to all this

I should also say, i also use a heated setup, the press is pre warmed before putting a board and and we press atleast 24min at about 180deg with blankets on top and bottom. I dont see why it wouldnt work well in a non heated setup, it would just take overnight or what have you to setup

We bit the bullet and bought a 5gallon pale of resin and 2 gal of hardener, theirs a slight price break at that point, and you save on the hardener by only having to pay the hazmat fee once for both gallons.
-Jacob
nick

Post by nick »

crap. how much did the 5gal set you back? thats awesome that you guys like them. i will call them as soon as i can. man im a little scared though to have delam. problems.... so basically the trick is to clean it as well as I can. What do you guys recommend cleaning with? Acetone? Is there an ideal way to clean? gloves, acetone, and a stiff bristled brush?
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

mek will make you shoot blanks. repirator and gloves a must. fastest evoporative solvent.
Acetone works but I use mek.
jvangelder

Post by jvangelder »

Ive only had one issue with delam, and that was because we tried painting our tip material, and the expoxy didnt like that at all

I however are not using the correct material for sidewalls as of yet, once i buy some uhmwpe sidewalls i might be joining the delam issue group

I dont remember the exact price, it was under 400 though and i do remember spending around 70 on shipping + the hazmat fee (Washington state -> nh not cheap to ship)

-Jacob
nick

Post by nick »

your saying that once you get uhmwpe sidewalls you will have delam issues?
jvangelder

Post by jvangelder »

Not necessarly, ive just read enough about people having initial trouble bonding uhmw that im expecting it. UHMW just doesnt like to be glued to anything.

Dont worry about the QCM Expoxy, it will work fine.
nick

Post by nick »

why do people like using it if it doesnt want to bond to anything? from my understanding, you can use ptex, abs plastic or UHMW ryte?