New to the forum and snowboard building

For discussions related to designing and making ski/snowboard-building equipment, such as presses, core profilers, edge benders, etc.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

jvangelder

New to the forum and snowboard building

Post by jvangelder »

Hey guys, figured id post now that my lurking has paid off. I picked up a used press out of upstate NY a few months ago and last night i finnaly finished the wiring/plumbing/assembly etc etc.

Anyways, heres some info. Im using a wattlow 965(?) controler and a solidstate relay controling up too 4 wattlow blankets with a ktype thermocouple for feedback. We picked up a new 5gal compressor thats mounted to the press aswell, keeps everything neat and tidy givin that floor space is at a premium. Both the top and bottem bay of the press are usable, both blanchard ground with the only diff being the lower bay is 2" narrower.

The cassett the press came with is for a 149 board with some camber, off the top of my head i dont recall, im going to pracice with this one and the pile of cores i got with it, and later this year im going to make a 153 and probably something close to a 160.

so heres some pics

The shop with the press, vacume table, router, tablesaw, pile of materials etc etc

Heres a close up on the bays along with the pile of cores it came with

Pile of base, topsheet, edges, bi axy and tri axial glass. Im getting a roll of CF in a week or so and some scrap kevlar to experement with aswell

Random pic of the control box i made from scraps along with a pic of the first attempt at 'programming' the thing. 45page manual for something the size of my cell phone, thats just not right

The sweet compressor thats quiet and small and fills in 3min, and ofcourse, the obligatory stickers

Right now im setup in a friends garage, and by shit luck her father is only charging for the electricity i use, by next year we will be in a diff friends basement or shop that we build

Anyways thats my sweet introduction, my epoxy from QCM is on its way so by next weekend i should be able to start attempting boards, thank you to everyone whos posted info on here, from the heatercontroler info, the epoxy sticky amoung many other things ive read have been extreamly usefull

-Jacob
Three31

Post by Three31 »

Killer setup!
Brian
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

sickter gnar killer setup
plywood

Post by plywood »

lucky you! this press looks fantastic!
plywood freeride industries - go ply, ride wood!
jvangelder

Post by jvangelder »

Thanks guys, i cant take credit for building the press, bought it off the owner/builder who use to build 'Vytal' boards out of NW New York.

I started the pre layup of the first board so im ready for my epoxy on thursday, not wasting any time getting the first board out

-Jacob