I made a skiboard 3 years ago

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

frankef

I made a skiboard 3 years ago

Post by frankef »

I am new to your forum but now that I have read how to construct a ski, I did it all wrong. I secured the edges to the base using one layer of 4" wide 6 oz. fg cloth and West Epoxy. It was sandwiched between two strips of 1/2" ply and clamped securely with every clamp I own. (Yes, flat) I then wet out several layers only on the tip and back a little, bent it over a wooden form upside down and clamped the hell out of it. After that I profiled the wood core, glued in inserts, and clamped it to the base using one more layer of FG Tape under. I staggered layers from the tip back on top. I also used unidirectional carbon fiber crosswise for about a foot behing the tip for torsional strength. I should explain this a skiboard not a regular ski. There is only 7" of ski behind my boot and the overall length is 125 cm. It's a larger version of the Bstinger ski that I have been skiing for quite a few years. I took it to Italy in '08 but there wasn't any powder to really test it. This year I spent 2 months at Whistler and tested it in all snow conditions. It was fabulous. Now I want to build another and make improvements on the design and construction. I want it stiffer and lighter (although the old is only 10 lbs. with demo bindings). I think a press and heat are great if you are in a hurry but doing one or a few layers at a time seems to work just as well. Oh, I live in Hawaii so I am doing my layups in 90 degree heat so that probably helps. I encourage any comments, criticisms, etc. and I can go into more detail if anyone desires. I did minimal photos before but the next will have much more detail. Thanks, frankef