spray-on truck bedliner for sidewall and possable topsheet

For discussions related to the type of materials to build skis/snowboards and where to get them.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

ptobin

spray-on truck bedliner for sidewall and possable topsheet

Post by ptobin »

So I was thinking about different things that could be used to protect the skis that was strong durable and bonded well. I have seen Line-X type spray-on used on other things than just truck beds and in reading a little bit about the spray-on liners it seems that it would work quite well for protecting a ski. It seems like it might possibly provide some dampening as well, because the rubbery traits, or maybe not? it seems like it would be easy to press a ski with no top sheet, mask the base and then coat it top sheet and sidewalls later. It also seems like something that might hold paint better on the outside of the ski, or it is possible to get it done in colors.

Has anyone thought of this, or maybe tried it?
RoboGeek

Post by RoboGeek »

interesting idea.. but it would have to be thin - that stuffs heavy!
I used to be a lifeguard, but some blue kid got me fired.
doughboyshredder

Post by doughboyshredder »

might work. I have a link to the manufacturer somewhere. I will look for it. He's a guy on the border of Washington / Oregon. He has many different mixes, some proprietary, most not. One of the mixes he does is for schucks. Another is for the marine industry. Lots of builders are using it for decking on wood boats.
knightsofnii

Post by knightsofnii »

dudeeeeeeeee....
you might be on to something
Doug
doughboyshredder

Post by doughboyshredder »

This is the stuff you might want to try.

https://www.newlinesafety.com/content/view/23/57/
ptobin

Post by ptobin »

A friend and I just pressed our first pair of skis over thanksgiving i think we might try something to protect the wood side walls. if that seems to work i might leave off the top sheet on the next pair and try to do the whole ski, its just and idea, I'll probably go talk to a person who does the spraying and see what they think.
bobbyrobie

Post by bobbyrobie »

wow that seems like a great idea! they sell a product like that at automotive shops. its called herculiner. comes in the quart and gallon.
ptobin

Post by ptobin »

so, we didn't use line-x, but my roommate (who i have been building skis with) had some car under body coat stuff: SEM rubberized undercoating. we masked the skis and sprayed it on to the side walls. three coats. the skis have had 2 days on them now, mounted tele, and the side wall coat seems to be doing really well. we base ground them and so the edges are really sharp. the undercoating stuff works better than i was expecting, because this stuff is more like a spray paint, but it so far seems pretty rugged. it looks pretty sharp as well. I might try a similar product for the next ski and use it for the top sheet as well.