Ski Press for Sale (Edit: SOLD)

For non-commerical sales of materials, equipment, and resources related to ski/snowboard building

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

grainhog

Ski Press for Sale (Edit: SOLD)

Post by grainhog »

For Sale: I-beam style ski press in Missoula, MT.

This includes the frame, pneumatics and bladders, heat controller, silicone heating blankets, and precision CNC-cut modular mold system which I used to press the same shape in 164 cm, 174 cm, and 184 cm lengths. The tip and tail blocks are interchangeable with three different center camber blocks. It also includes at least 6 lightly used pieces of flat 0.032” 5052-H32 aluminum for mold skins. These skis have skied classic big mountain backcountry lines and millions of vertical feet in 15+ mountain ranges throughout the west to great effect. It's really going to suck to go back to buying trashy factory skis, but it's time for me to move on to other things.

A wide variety of shapes in at least 3 lengths can be pressed using my molds, so assuming you want the molds, this is a 100% ready-to-go ski building system. Overall the press is 10 feet long, 16" wide (wider at the bottom where the cast iron caster wheels are), and the overall height is about 5 feet tall. Press cavity is 100" long to beginning of I-beam spacer, 16" wide, and 10 1/4" High. You can move it around on the casters by hand if it's on a solid floor. You could easily press 250 cm lengths in this press.

As can be seen, the molds are maple sealed with marine grade varnish. Contrary to popular belief, these are likely just as stable as, and more durable and resistant to compression than, MDF or alternative materials.

The frame was built largely according to the Head Monkey's specs seen at http://www.happymonkeysnowboards.com/Mo ... nstruction , while details approximating parts of the heat blankets and controller here: http://www.happymonkeysnowboards.com/Mo ... rmocouples

I would gladly give CAD files for plan view ski shapes and ski molds, and any usable templates and fixtures I have (e.g., ). Buyer must pick up in Missoula, MT 59808. I will not sell parts, so please don't ask for just the heat controller or the blankets. Originally asking $4100 for the press alone, $6850 with the molds. Asking prices reduced to $3200 for the press alone, $4,800 with the molds, or $1,600 for the molds alone. My preference is to sell them together.

I will demonstrate that it works, but I will not transport it: you have to show up with a trailer or pickup that can hold 10 ft I-beams and a total weight of at least 2,000lbs. There is no warranty and no returns. There is especially no warranty on the heat controller: inspect it yourself and satisfy yourself that it is safe to operate. The bladders leak air very slowly, as most do, but likely have hundreds or more presses in them. I operated them with a 6 gal Porter Cable pancake compressor at 40 - 60 PSI with no problem.

I also have assorted ski building materials, including a role of edging and some composites, for which I would gladly negotiate prices with the buyer. I don't have a comprehensive inventory at the moment.

Contact me here via PM if you're interested. Thanks.
press_a1.jpg
press_a1.jpg (187.46 KiB) Viewed 6011 times
press_a2.jpg
press_a2.jpg (179.65 KiB) Viewed 6011 times
press_a4.jpg
press_a4.jpg (122.42 KiB) Viewed 6011 times
mold_1.jpg
mold_1.jpg (167.2 KiB) Viewed 6011 times
mold_2.jpg
mold_2.jpg (127.8 KiB) Viewed 6011 times
Last edited by grainhog on Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:38 am, edited 4 times in total.
vinman

Re: Ski Press for Sale

Post by vinman »

Nice set up!

Wow hardwood molds...$$$$

What is the name of that type of buckle you used to join your mold sections?
Fighting gravity on a daily basis
www.Whiteroomcustomskis.com
mammuth

Re: Ski Press for Sale

Post by mammuth »

Tom
animator

Re: Ski Press for Sale (Edit: Price Reduced 3/16/2021)

Post by animator »

Hey grainhog,
new here so I'm not sure how to PM people. Is the press still available? Very interested, Thanks!
dennyblaine

Post by dennyblaine »

Do you still have this press and molds? if so I would like to buy it. I live about 4 hours from you. thanks
grainhog

Post by grainhog »

@dennyblaine @animator I just saw your comments. I don't receive email updates on this post apparently. Sorry for the delay. The press is indeed still available. I sent you both PM's with my contact info. I'll monitor this thread too for a while. Thanks.
joel

Post by joel »

Hey message me if this is still available please

Thanks
Joel
grainhog

Post by grainhog »

joel wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:53 pm Hey message me if this is still available please

Thanks
Joel
Hey joel, the press is still available. I sent you a pm with my contact info. Thanks.
carlduke

Re: Ski Press for Sale (Edit: Price Reduced 8/4/2021)

Post by carlduke »

Hey Grainhog,

I tried to send you a private message but it says I am too new and haven't posted enough to send you a private message. I'd love to talk about the molds and the press. Can you text me at (801) 910-625 four or you can email me at carlduke @ gmail.com

Thanks,

Carl
ratherBskiing

Post by ratherBskiing »

Is the press still available?
grainhog

Post by grainhog »

ratherBskiing wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:17 am Is the press still available?
@ratherBskiing yes it is. Feel free to contact me at georgecgaines at gmail dot com. Thanks.