Vectorply 22oz pre-slit TO YOUR WIDTH. 1/28 Deadline!

For non-commerical sales of materials, equipment, and resources related to ski/snowboard building

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

mattman

Vectorply 22oz pre-slit TO YOUR WIDTH. 1/28 Deadline!

Post by mattman »

So we are hoping to order a roll of Vectorply ETLX2200 slit to a variety of widths. We dont need all 50" of it though, so if you want your own roll of custom-slit Vectorply let me know now! Each roll will be 106 yards (97m) long (makes about 12 to 14 pair of skis). The cost will be $18 per inch of width you choose plus whatever it costs me to ship your section to you (we will ship the cheapest way possible, no markup). This is the equivalent of buying 50" wide triax at $8.49/yd (a VERY good price for the quantity), only you have less waste and more convenience. Or, said another way, if you were to get it at 12.5" wide it is $2.32/meter (typically $5 or more from other shops).
We are not trying to make anything off of this, just trying to avoid buying the whole roll ourselves! The kicker: we hope to order Monday - 1/28...so if you are in, please let me know quick.

Local pickup is available in Littleton, NH. Please note when choosing a width that the factory slitting is slightly scalloped to reduce fraying, so please choose widths accordingly.
Last edited by mattman on Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
chrismp

Post by chrismp »

do you know any reasonable way to ship this to austria? i'd be in for 13" if the shipping doesn't kill me.
mattman

Post by mattman »

So to quickly calculate the weight of the package: a full 50" roll is about 220lbs. So a 13" section should be 57.2 - call it 58.2 packaged. Your shipping would be about $154.

Anyone can check theirs on usps.com. Our zipcode is 03561. USPS seemed to be much cheaper than UPS or FedEx
Last edited by mattman on Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
chrismp

Post by chrismp »

i just calculated what i'm paying for the same quantity (split up into a biaxial and a uni weave though...no triaxial with the right weight available) from my supplier in europe and got 225 USD including shipping. paying almost double that is to steep for me, so i'm out. sorry! good luck with the order though! it's a great deal for anyone living in the US.
MadRussian

Re: Vectorply 22oz pre-slit TO YOUR WIDTH. 1/28 Deadline!

Post by MadRussian »

What is the difference between Vectorply and other brands for example one sold by fiberglasssupply.com?
mattman

Post by mattman »

There has been lots of discussion about the various triax brands (V2, Owens Corning, and Vectorply). The general consensus is that V2 tends to be fat, loosely stitched tows. Because the tows are fat (not spread), the fabric is slightly thicker and therefore stiffer to work with. However because the stitching is loose, the product is very inconsistent.
Owens Corning has better quality control and perhaps slightly less fat tows. The fabric is still stiffer to work with (which some people prefer), but has better stitching.
Vectorply has more spread tows for a more flexible fabric to work with (which other people prefer). This may improves the finish with less print-thru; some feel its negligible. The product is very consistent, blemish free, and you know that you will get the same thing the next time you order. Doesn't seem like that should be a concern, but it really is. It may be a major reason why Vectorply is so widely used by ski and snowboard manufacturers. Perhaps the most common complaint with Vectorply is that its the priciest ("get what you pay for" said a lot), but at a full roll, it looks like a great price to me.
mattman

Post by mattman »

I think FGS's triax is from V2. Could be wrong. I believe twizzstyle uses it and really likes it - he would know better than I do. My experience with V2 is from Raka and it was horrible.
MadRussian

Post by MadRussian »

6" roll wide enough for skis under 150mm?
mattman

Post by mattman »

6" for a 150mm ski give you 2mm of leeway...seems risky to me. Its all personal preference, but we like a bit of extra to play it safe. It all depends on your process and how confident you are wetting out glass with minimal fraying (the more you stay away from the edge, the less likely it is to fray). If you wet out on the layup vs. transferring the fabric, that can have an effect too. 6.5" is a popular size, I'd recommend starting there.
MadRussian

Post by MadRussian »

will have to pass because sometimes ago I bought 3x fiberglass from fiberglass supply.... Have to use it before get more. Good deal... bad timing for me :(
bcohen5055

Post by bcohen5055 »

What is the widest section you can do? (50"- whatever everyone else orders)?

I have another non ski related project I may want this for...
olie25

Post by olie25 »

im in for 12.5-13". im in canada so if your down to ship im in. pm me for info ill try and keep a close eye for email updates
knightsofnii

Post by knightsofnii »

mattman wrote:There has been lots of discussion about the various triax brands (V2, Owens Corning, and Vectorply). The general consensus is that V2 tends to be fat, loosely stitched tows. Because the tows are fat (not spread), the fabric is slightly thicker and therefore stiffer to work with. However because the stitching is loose, the product is very inconsistent.
Owens Corning has better quality control and perhaps slightly less fat tows. The fabric is still stiffer to work with (which some people prefer), but has better stitching.
Vectorply has more spread tows for a more flexible fabric to work with (which other people prefer). This may improves the finish with less print-thru; some feel its negligible. The product is very consistent, blemish free, and you know that you will get the same thing the next time you order. Doesn't seem like that should be a concern, but it really is. It may be a major reason why Vectorply is so widely used by ski and snowboard manufacturers. Perhaps the most common complaint with Vectorply is that its the priciest ("get what you pay for" said a lot), but at a full roll, it looks like a great price to me.

Owens Corning CDB200 was their best triax, and probably the best triax ever that' I've used. No longer available, MAY be available from china.

V2 what's stated above is true, their standard off the shelf 22oz is crap. We had a run of V2 that was called VIX212, which was a custom run for a company in canada. Its all gone, and those who have any left are keeping it. :( they are not willing to make more unless we all band together to get a run.

Vectorply, in my own opinion is flimsy and appears weak when by itself... it frays apart easy during build... so its tougher to work with, BUT, when cured in a finished board, it's flex and strentgh properties are very similar to the OC and the best of other companies. That being said, Vectorply is your best bet these days because you simply cant get any of the other stuff that used to be rad.
Doug