Square Steel Tube

For discussions related to the type of materials to build skis/snowboards and where to get them.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

melvs

Square Steel Tube

Post by melvs »

Just found this while on e-bay, 2x2x72 in steel tubing for under $20 a piece. Damn good price compared to what I can find elsewhere.

http://www.industrialmetalsales.com/Ste ... _Tube.html
-Pat
Greg

Steel tube

Post by Greg »

I found the tubing for my press at Morse Steel in bellingham. It is a big warehouse that caters more to the industrial customer. It cost be about $200 for enough steel to make an 8 foot long frame with extra reinforcement. I had them all cut to ten foot lengths from 20 foot lengths so they would fit in the back of my truck. I am sure most towns have some sort of industrial steel supply place like this.

I saw that online place too, but the local vendor was actually cheaper. Plus, steel is pretty darn heavy, and I can't imagine what shipping would cost on something like that.
littleKam
Site Admin

Post by littleKam »

your local junkyard may have a lot of useful metal as well.
- Kam S Leang (aka Little Kam)
melvs

Post by melvs »

I got a bunch of i-beams that happened to be 80" long from a junk pile at the D.O.T. Never found anyone to ask about it, so I just took them.
-Pat
littleKam
Site Admin

Post by littleKam »

just curious, how did you lift the i-beams?
- Kam S Leang (aka Little Kam)
melvs

Post by melvs »

they're just about the limit that a single person would be able to carry. I'll get some pics today as I'm doing some measurements and final design creation. The dimensions are 81" long x 6" high x 4"wide and the metal is 1/4" thick.
-Pat