Low Density Sidewalls

For discussions related to the type of materials to build skis/snowboards and where to get them.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Thelongride

Low Density Sidewalls

Post by Thelongride »

So it seems full length sidewalls are quite a large portion of lightweight touring skis weight, and if there were a lower density alternative one could save quite a large number of grams per ski. The problem is that impact resistance is so closely related to density

Has anyone somehow done an lower weight poly pour? Or perhaps there's a lower density version of abs/UHMW I'm not aware of?

I suppose cap construction is always an option

pmg

Re: Low Density Sidewalls

Post by pmg »

Hi, my solution is to only have 2.5-3mm thick sidewalls. This adds little weight but offers nearly all benefits of a sidewall. The only possible issue is that on a hard impact on the edge, there is less sidewall to take that impact. But a hard impact with constant edge deformation always is a bad damage to the ski, no matter if the sidewall is thick or thin...

Thelongride

Post by Thelongride »

Woah, you must have amazingly precise presses! I suppose I could go this route, but I feel that the risk of profiling through a 2.5mm sidewall into the core would happen on a regular basis for me. I need a bit of a larger margin for error than that ;)

pmg

Post by pmg »

Hi,

check this: I use 3 thumbtacks glued to the base to keep the core in position during layup. the core then can't move more than about 0.2mm without getting resistance from the thumbtacks.