Tip/tail Spacer Info

For discussions related to the type of materials to build skis/snowboards and where to get them.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

TheKingInYellow

Tip/tail Spacer Info

Post by TheKingInYellow »

I've been scouring the internet finding places you can buy mats. With help from people here I know of some places where I can buy hardwood now, and snowboardmaterials.com seems like a good place for edges, custom base and topsheet, hardware, ect. I found another place that has good ABS and PTEXT sidewalls, but the mats I cant seem to find are tip/tail spacers. I've searched through all the pages here and although spacers are mentioned a lot there isn't a whole alot of actual info about them. It seems happymonkey uses PTEX. I'm not sure where he gets it or how he makes it though.
The last thing I want is to make a board and have the ends chipped early on in its life.
Any and all info related to spacers is appreciated. What's the best material (ABS, PTEX, rubber, baselayer, tac)? Where can you buy them online? Does it come cut to shape or do you cut it yourself? Are there any brands that have shown to be reliable and high quality? What do some of the major brands use (i.e. Burton, Bataleon, CAPiTA, Neverwinter)? What's the best application process that you've found?
artski

Re: Tip/tail Spacer Info

Post by artski »

The materials section in this forum is a great place to start. Have you looked at the skilab store? www.skilabstore.com
Head Monkey

Post by Head Monkey »

Kelvin, one of the SkiBuilders founders, runs Maiden Skis out in Jackson Hole (https://maidenskis.com/) and is a generally cool guy. His shop is amazing, and he sources good material and does small sales. Check out his supplies site, which for some reason goes by a different name: http://www.blankslateskis.com/

Tip/tail spacer from Kelvin: http://www.blankslateskis.com/tip-tail- ... 12-x-2-mm/

I got my spacer directly from Crown Plastics ages ago, along with some base material and the sidewall material I use. Ordering direct from them, though, typically results in you having to buy whole rolls of things, so I have nose and tail spacer for years ;)
Everything I know about snowboard building, almost: MonkeyWiki, a guide to snowboard construction
Free open source ski and snowboard CADCAM: MonkeyCAM, snoCAD-X
TheKingInYellow

artski wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:37 am The materials section in this forum is a great place to start. Have you looked at the skilab store? www.skilabstore.com
The link is dead.
TheKingInYellow

Does the epoxy just fill in any gaps? Also, bout how much over hang would you give? I'm starting repairs on my board tip and ends today and notice it's just wood and edge. No spacer to be seen. So I definitely see the value in them.
TheKingInYellow

Nvm. Found that on the wiki.