Carbon Fiber Tow vs Uni-Directional

For discussions related to the type of materials to build skis/snowboards and where to get them.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

skimann20

Carbon Fiber Tow vs Uni-Directional

Post by skimann20 »

Hello all,
I wanted to start a discussion on tow vs unidirectional carbon fiber. After looking over a lot of build pages it looks like most people use 12K some up to 24K tow; with a variance of 2-7 strands.

i've used 4-9oz unidirectional carbon and have mapped out their stiffness characteristics along the way.

I guess my question is there a direct comparison between the two? I would think there is and I'm looking for that answer.

I found this PDF on unidirectional carbon 9oz. It states that there is 12K tow. does this mean in a one foot section of 9oz there is 12K of tow?
http://cdn.fibreglast.com/downloads/00296-B.pdf

If this is true, you guys are adding a ton of stiffness to your skis. thoughts?
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

vinman

Post by vinman »

For the link you posted the 12k refers to what each strand of the fabric is made from.

That means that for each yard of that fabric it will weigh 9oz. And each bundle of carbon fiber in that fabric is made up of 12k tow.

The 12k reveres to how many individual fibers there are in each bundle.
Fighting gravity on a daily basis
www.Whiteroomcustomskis.com
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

I've only used CF in a couple pair of skis. Uni-CF will add a lot of stiffness to the length of the ski. I'll be making another pair of Flax/CF combination this season. I'm going with Uni-CF 3.7oz. I've used 5.8 oz and 9.7 oz and I found both to be too stiff. Of course there's all the other variables (wood type, core dims, etc...) to factor in. But with my current layups I think I'd prefer to use the lightest CF.

Haven't decided how wide the CF will be, 2 or 3in wide.
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

Has anyone used CF veil (chopped mat)?