Steel edges, lay up, sandblasting

For discussions related to the type of materials to build skis/snowboards and where to get them.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

athapoto

Steel edges, lay up, sandblasting

Post by athapoto »

I just got my first materials yesterday and i saw and touch for the first time the steel edges like single material. The edges i got where not shinny were looking like they have grey colour. I made a full search in here about edges and sandblasting. Read at a post that you can get 3 types of steel edges( plain, sandblasted and protected). I think i got the protected ones ( the grey coat). Is that correct? Also if I have this kind of edges I have to use them like this for better bonding or I have to do a sandblasting? Finally the heat can remove the coat so i have to bend them cold?
falls

Post by falls »

Pretty much all the edges come with the grey coating that aids bonding. Clean them with acetone or methylated spirits before layup and let them dry out well before layup so no acetone remains.
You don't need to sandblast them unless they get really rusty.
Don't wait up, I'm off to kill Summer....
athapoto

Post by athapoto »

Thank you I will try it like this. As for the bending? If I heat them to bend them by hand that will cause not a good bonding at the bended parts of the edges?
vinman

Post by vinman »

No but I do lightly brush away any loose primer or rust. Be sure to clean off any excess CA glue from the teeth or bonding surface of the edge.
Fighting gravity on a daily basis
www.Whiteroomcustomskis.com
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

You don't really need to heat the edges to bend them, many of us don't do that anymore. It ruins the hardness of the edge where you heat it.

Modified tile nippers make quick work of edge bending, without heating the edge at all.
athapoto

Post by athapoto »

twizzstyle Can you send me a photo of the normal tool and a photo that shows the modified tool? Thanks instead :)
Dtrain

Post by Dtrain »

Don't make the hassle. It's easier for you to search than for him to take a pic, upload it. Blah blah blah.

F@&k dude,

Google.... Tile nipper ski edge.......amazing
Dtrain

Post by Dtrain »

50 sec in. He'll even show ya how to use em!
climberman

Post by climberman »

Dtrain wrote:

50 sec in. He'll even show ya how to use em!
I just can't get past all these guys doing this stuff as a job and not wearing respirators or eye protection.
falls

Post by falls »

Australia - world leader in occupational health and safety! It's engrained in our consciousness.
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

falls wrote:Australia - world leader in occupational health and safety! It's engrained in our consciousness.
Is that so?
This explains the insane regs out on the road site my bro in law works in the outback. He cant go in the back of the ute to get a wrench without a ladder. The ladder is taller than the bed of the truck. Lol.
sammer wrote: I'm still a tang on top guy.
falls

Post by falls »

Sounds about right.
sammer

Post by sammer »

MontuckyMadman wrote:
falls wrote:Australia - world leader in occupational health and safety! It's engrained in our consciousness.
Is that so?
This explains the insane regs out on the road site my bro in law works in the outback. He cant go in the back of the ute to get a wrench without a ladder. The ladder is taller than the bed of the truck. Lol.
My job site has millions of different safety procedures and protocols.
Fall arrest if feet are above 1.8m, tied into an engineered tie off point.
If you read the hot work SP+P you need a hot work permit and 3hr fire watch to light your smoke.

And ya top of ladders must be 1m above what ever you're stepping onto.

All but lighting your smoke are strictly enforced.

sam
You don't even have a legit signature, nothing to reveal who you are and what you do...

Best of luck to you. (uneva)
climberman

Post by climberman »

funny difference isn't it?

I have a bunch of family and friends of family in the surfboard game, smart ones got onto full face regulators reeeeaaallllly early. Heaps of people from my old man's era with hypersensitivity and lung problems from a life around resin.