Drying wood down to 0% humidity?

For discussions related to the type of materials to build skis/snowboards and where to get them.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

pmg

Drying wood down to 0% humidity?

Post by pmg »

Hi,

had another of my strange ideas.

While drying some epoxy I put on the wood cores in my heat box I noticed quite a lot of condensed water on the colder parts of the heat box. Only source I can think of are the wood cores.

The cores have a humidity of 8%, so quite dry already. But what if the humidity could be put to 0% without too much effort?
In my case this would have 2 advantages:
1) saving a bit of weight
2) no need to seal the core prior to pouring the sidewall

Well, my idea was to use my heat box (which can do about 70-75°C) and some of that humidity "soaking" salt to take the humidity from the air.

So, before I give this a try, has anyone tried it before or has some knowledge on this? 2 issues I can think of are
- it just does not work (industry uses ovens which go up to 180°C to get wood to 0%)
- mechanical properties decrease when humidity gets too low.

Regards
Philipp
falls

Post by falls »

I think if wood is too dry it will be brittle. It's important to dry it, but I think you can dry it too much.
Don't wait up, I'm off to kill Summer....
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

Pretty sure it just splits and falls apart. You gonna lam the core first or try and dry boards?
sammer wrote: I'm still a tang on top guy.
vinman

Post by vinman »

I keep my cores in a closed room with a dehumidifier that keeps the wood moisture content in the single digits.

I agree with MM and falls, too low would cause it to check and split, possibly pulling your glue joints apart if they are not bonded well.
Fighting gravity on a daily basis
www.Whiteroomcustomskis.com