ski making supplies

For discussions related to the type of materials to build skis/snowboards and where to get them.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Wvmtnbiker

ski making supplies

Post by Wvmtnbiker »

I'm finally going to try to build some skis after several years of lurking. Just tried to order 2 ski kits from SkiLab and they wanted $40 for shipping to WA. Is there a better source for the materials - I know about Fiberglass supply and Crown - but how about for the edges etc. Not trying to be too cheap but $40 seems like a lot. Anyone in the Seattle area that might sell ski making supplies? I know about Miller Studios- Thanks
Dtrain

Post by Dtrain »

I live in Canada and pay a butt load more than you. 40 bucks sounds cheap as hell. Suck it up man, if your making skis to save money, your in for a world of heartbreak. Seriously!
knightsofnii

Post by knightsofnii »

depends how they're packing it.
is it 40 because of weight, or box size?

If they're putting it all in a snowboard box, get enough materials to completely fill the box, then it makes the shipping worth it.
Doug
skimann20

Post by skimann20 »

Dtrain wrote:I live in Canada and pay a butt load more than you. 40 bucks sounds cheap as hell. Suck it up man, if your making skis to save money, your in for a world of heartbreak. Seriously!
yup. You're barking up the wrong tree if you think this is going to be a cheep hobby. sounds like a great price to me. I shipped skis from MA to Pa and I think it cost me 50-60 bucks.
Wvmtnbiker

Post by Wvmtnbiker »

Got an email back from SkiLab - they recalculated the shipping manually. Thanks
sammer

Post by sammer »

The first time I ordered materials, I paid more than $50 in brokerage fees to fed-ex.
That on top of the shipping and taxes for just over $120 worth of stuff. Ended up close to double!
If anyone tells you this is a cheap way to get new skis they're lying.
Sure you can have a few new pair of skis every year, but the first few pair will cost you a bundle and may or may not be ride-able.

sam
You don't even have a legit signature, nothing to reveal who you are and what you do...

Best of luck to you. (uneva)