Check your glass!!!!!

For discussions related to the type of materials to build skis/snowboards and where to get them.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

gozaimaas

Check your glass!!!!!

Post by gozaimaas »

Silly old me, its all my fault.
Thats what the dude from the shop just told me after I informed him that they had sent me WEFT instead of the WARP triaxial glass I ordered.
Ive got about 5 boards built with this shit, they are all bin jobs and they are only going to credit me for the 5m I have left, not the 10m I ordered and paid good money for.

Moral to the story is CHECK YOUR GLASS, dont trust that the people who send it out know wtf they are doing

For all you aussies do not deal with boatcraft.com.au
gozaimaas

Post by gozaimaas »

All these boards are fking bin jobs!!!
Arrrrrrrggghhhhhhh

Dtrain

Post by Dtrain »

Dude. Are you sure? You would noticed that at some point. If that's true, it's tragic man.
gozaimaas

Post by gozaimaas »

Im oh so sure, I cut some today and was about to lay up when I noticed. Reason I didnt notice before was because I put that 0° carbon tape in them all so it gives some resistance when flexing but I think theyre going to be a bit soft under foot. If it werent for the 4 carbon tape strips there would be nothing on the 0° axis.

Fail.
climberman

Post by climberman »

fk me goz. spewing. are you going to be able to redo them before you split?
gozaimaas

Post by gozaimaas »

I doubt it CM.
Got to keep on with the split Im building and another my my mate in Japan before I can.look at building solids.
gozaimaas

Post by gozaimaas »

I doubt it CM.
Got to keep on with the split Im building and another my my mate in Japan before I can.look at building solids.
pmg

Post by pmg »

What do WEFT and WARP mean?
gozaimaas

Post by gozaimaas »

WARP has a 0-45-45
WEFT has a 90-45-45
pmg

Post by pmg »

ouch :(
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

should be fine man, plenty of boards are made with just biax and maybe some lightweight 0 degree, or just straight biax. They wont break, most likely, looks like you did a good job at construction. If they flex OK its OK. Dont trash them. I was wondering how you had teh carbon in there and they werent super stiff on eth 0 axis. ha.
sammer wrote: I'm still a tang on top guy.
gozaimaas

Post by gozaimaas »

Yeah they flex ok but a little soft for my weight, the worst thing is Ive been racking my brain trying to get the flex right and thinking the bamboo/paulownia was just too flexy, so all the info I thought I had is now out the window.
I made my next core thicker to compensate, Im torn now as to if I should thin it out or not use carbon.
Back to square one.
vinman

Post by vinman »

No not all is lost. Just go back to your original core design and get the right glass.
Fighting gravity on a daily basis
www.Whiteroomcustomskis.com
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

Right. Stick with your gut and get the right cwomposite and press on. Dont second guess until you find an issue.
It gets confusing with carbon and Ks and oz weight and aramid. Stick with just a few variables or lam up some simple samples to gauge longitudinal stiffness. You will be suprised what some simple tests can help support a hypothesis.
sammer wrote: I'm still a tang on top guy.
OAC

Post by OAC »

Just a silly/stupid question: How couldn't you tell in the first place?