metall deutsch edge rust

For discussions related to the type of materials to build skis/snowboards and where to get them.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

mikic1

metall deutsch edge rust

Post by mikic1 »

hello,

I have problems with the edges from metall deutsch, they are badly rusted after some time.

I keep them dry and dark place, handle with gloves.

Rust can be removed with sandpaper with no problem, but I got a roll and its too much.

Anybody had similar experience, advice...?

thx
gozaimaas

Post by gozaimaas »

The answer you dont want to hear is.....sand blast them
MadRussian

Post by MadRussian »

gozaimaas wrote:The answer you dont want to hear is.....sand blast them
after sand blasting metal will rust twice as fast if not painted. cut the role in small sections and keep each section wrapped and sealed in vapor barrier product. Not plastic but actual vapor barrier. This MIGHT reduce or slow down rusting
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
Thomas A. Edison
richie

Post by richie »

MadRussian wrote:
gozaimaas wrote:The answer you dont want to hear is.....sand blast them
after sand blasting metal will rust twice as fast if not painted. cut the role in small sections and keep each section wrapped and sealed in vapor barrier product. Not plastic but actual vapor barrier. This MIGHT reduce or slow down rusting
I think goz means sandblast them before you do the layup, so its clean and ready to go, from what I have observed a lot of people prefer to do this anyway? I live near the sea and do have some issues depending on the wind direction at times we can get some salty air, my CDW edges are well protected and have never rusted in storage.......

cheers
Rich
MonkeyCAM and SnoCAD - https://github.com/mikemag
Ski binding mounting https://github.com/splitn2/DrillSki

Richard Harcourt | www.splitn2.com | Christchurch New Zealand
rich@splitn2.com | www.facebook.com/splitn2
Head Monkey

Post by Head Monkey »

This happens to me, too, both with the CDW edges and the ones from Metall Deutsch. I've always kept them in a PVC tube sealed at both ends, with desiccant inside. They still rust a bit over time.

Honestly, I select the edges for each layup based on which ones have the least amount of rust on them :) Then I clean it off where necessary with a gummi stone. When I get to the point where I have to use the ones with too much rust on them then it will be sandblasting time again, which is a pain in the ass I agree but it really is the best way to prep the edges.
Everything I know about snowboard building, almost: MonkeyWiki, a guide to snowboard construction
Free open source ski and snowboard CADCAM: MonkeyCAM, snoCAD-X
mikic1

Post by mikic1 »

Thx for the feedback!

Since my problem was severe, bad rust all over, Metall Deutsch has agreed to replace the edges. This is what I call great customer service!
gozaimaas

Post by gozaimaas »

That is great service!
MadRussian

Post by MadRussian »

Head Monkey wrote: I've always kept them in a PVC tube sealed at both ends, with desiccant inside. They still rust a bit over time.
PVC is not vapor barrier and allowed moisture to get through. In order to reduce moisture assess edges have to be wrapped and sealed in vapor barrier paper.
Personally I don't have any problems with edges rusting so they set in the basement in the same box came in from CDW
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
Thomas A. Edison
Dimitar

Re: metall deutsch edge rust

Post by Dimitar »

mikic1 wrote:hello,

I have problems with the edges from metall deutsch, they are badly rusted after some time.

I keep them dry and dark place, handle with gloves.

Rust can be removed with sandpaper with no problem, but I got a roll and its too much.

Anybody had similar experience, advice...?

thx
We have some small amount left of the same edges from Metall Deutsch. There is some rust on them. Some edges on the boards rusted as well. I am wondering if there is another producer who is using higher grade steel - stainless steel for example...
chrismp

Post by chrismp »

Neither CDW nor Metall Deutsch use stainless steel afaik. Both their edges rust over time. The treatments available for these edges are only meant as bonding agents to facilitate the bond with epoxy. As long as this treatment is not ground off, it does provide some protection against rust. However during building this treatment gets ground off after layup and hence the edges start to rust. To prevent this it's best to dry the edges before storing the ski/board and to store it in a dry place.
pmg

Post by pmg »

The steel that is used for the edges is as right as it gets. Stainless steel can not achieve the same hardness/flexibility combination. E.g. at same hardness, stainless steel would break easier. Its the same with other steel tools that have to withstand hits, like axes.
knightsofnii

Post by knightsofnii »

I've used both cdw and metal deutch. The metal deutch edges rust quicker, way, way quicker.

I've blasted them, and they have fully rusted in the matter of a day.

We would simply clean them/blast/wirebrush, whatever, and use immediately in a build.

The built boards' edges would rust quickly.

CDW's edges also rust once they've gone thru post processing and the coatings are gone; however, their rate of oxidation seems to be slower and manageable. wipe your deck down after riding and you'll be fine.
Doug
chrismp

Post by chrismp »

I've used both as well but couldn't tell a difference. Currently stocking Metall Deutsch edges again as they're much cheaper (less than half of what CDW last quoted me).