Resin Research Epoxy

For discussions related to the type of materials to build skis/snowboards and where to get them.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

ProbsMagobs

Resin Research Epoxy

Post by ProbsMagobs »

I've seen in some posts that people are using Resin Research epoxy and it looks like a good option cost wise and room temp cure. I was wondering what specific kind people are using for snowboards and skis and how well it holds up. Any help is great!
SHIF

Post by SHIF »

I have used RR Composite Pro epoxy for several ski builds. I use the 2070 resin with a blend of 3100S and 3100X curing agents to achieve a really long pot life. If I have help during the lay-up I just use the 3100S. This stuff really needs a heated cure schedule to achieve best results. I ramp up the temp over a one hour duration. Then I cook them at about 175 F for several hours, and then let ‘em cool under pressure. So far my skis are holding up really well. Some have over 70 days use and are holding camber fine, and no delaminations either.

Once I tried a room temp cure followed by a lengthy heated post cure duration and my skis came out flat, zero camber. My press form has over 12mm of camber so this result is really odd. Bottom line, I would only use this stuff in a heated press even though they state it works with a room temp cure schedule.

Cheers,
-S
ProbsMagobs

Post by ProbsMagobs »

Thanks for the info. What about 2000CE? That's the easiest thing for me to find. Or is it not suited for skis/snowboards?
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

I use Resin Research at room temp. 2040 Resin and 2100f Hardener. I've had no issues with it. Wets out fine. I may switch to the other hardener for a longer pot life. I think most epoxy used in compression layups benefit from heat. I usually press for at least 8-10hrs, then let them sit for 3-4 days before I start the finishing process.
sammer

Post by sammer »

I've used 2090 and 3100s for a couple of pair now.
I like the viscosity and the pot life.
So far no issues to speak of.
I have an old electric blanket (like on your grammas bed) that when folded correctly and covered with some insulation can get over 140f to post cure.

If your gonna order from them call to add the UV additive.
It makes the epoxy a touch on the blueish side but it's not really noticeable in the finished ski.

sam
You don't even have a legit signature, nothing to reveal who you are and what you do...

Best of luck to you. (uneva)
SHIF

Post by SHIF »

Another nice benefit to using Resin Research epoxy is not having to pay “hazardous materials” fees for shipping the stuff. I used to use QCM epoxy and always hated that added shipping fee.

I have purchased RR directly from their web site and also from FiberGlassSupply dot com. I prefer FGS because they combine shipping with other items such as their triaxial glass fabric or whatever. They will also sell just the curing agent without buying an epoxy “kit”.

-S