Fluorescent ptex?

For discussions related to the type of materials to build skis/snowboards and where to get them.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Dimitar

Fluorescent ptex?

Post by Dimitar »

Does somebody know where can be found vivid fluorescent ptex base?

Thanks
Dimitar
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

SkiLab has yellow and orange. Although if memory serves me right, it seems like the yellow wasn't as fluorescent as I was hoping, and I know at some point I got some fluorescent orange from someone that was fairly translucent - not sure if that was from SkiLab or not.
Dimitar

Post by Dimitar »

Thanks for your reply, twizz. Skilab offer also green. It looks really vivid on the pictures, but it is out of stock...

May be, another option for us is to cover transparent ptex with some epoxy based fluorescent paint. Did somebody try something like this?
ben_mtl

Post by ben_mtl »

Balkan wrote:Thanks for your reply, twizz. Skilab offer also green. It looks really vivid on the pictures, but it is out of stock...

May be, another option for us is to cover transparent ptex with some epoxy based fluorescent paint. Did somebody try something like this?
DTrain used to do his graphics with paint or colored epoxy on transparent base material IIRC. Have a loot at his journal (Divide Rides)
A bad day skiing is always better than a good one at work...
IslandRider

Post by IslandRider »

I tried the most neon orange paint I could find under clear bases. Between the epoxy and hazy base material it lost a lot of its brightness. Still bright orange, but not nearly as neon as a colored base would be.
FigmentOriginal

Post by FigmentOriginal »

I bought some neon pink from SkiLab and its really bright solid neon color, no transparency. Might be able to send a few feet if you need it.
camhard

Post by camhard »

we're using fluorescent Nazdar ink on a clear Crown base, and it definitely loses a lot of it's vividness. sometimes the problem with the true neon pigmented base is that it comes out 'speckled'. this is why we're screening, because Crown wouldn't even make the colour we wanted... said that they have tried the colour we wanted before, and it didn't leave the factory because it didn't pass quality control.
knightsofnii

Post by knightsofnii »

it probably went out the back door and ended up in my shop :)
Doug