Veneer vs plastic?

For discussions related to the type of materials to build skis/snowboards and where to get them.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

camhard

Veneer vs plastic?

Post by camhard »

Has anyone done an analysis of veneer topsheet + clearcoat vs. a typical plastic one, such as the white isosport nylon?

Is there any real weight difference? what about environmental impact?

In terms of durability I've found the clearcoat wears, which i prefer to chipping/peeling of plastic, but it doesn't last super long, and once it's gone, it's into the glass/core. Veneer is definitely more labour intensive. I like the control you get with veneer, which allows a perfectly smooth and polished finish.

I haven't used the System Three product most people seem to recommend. I've been using a single part, water-bourne spray-on polycarbonate product from Target coatings, on top of a wetted out and cured (then cleaned/lightly sanded) veneer.
vinman

Post by vinman »

I'm trying the Entropy CLR epoxy for top coats on my veneers this year. I refinished a pair with that earlier this spring and they look nice. Glossy finish and it feels hard/durable.
Fighting gravity on a daily basis
www.Whiteroomcustomskis.com
barnboy

Post by barnboy »

We did a few pair with Entropy CLR over veneer... I echo Vinman, looks great, and held up fine through season one. Planning on going that way with all the veneer tops this year.
vinman

Post by vinman »

BArnboy, did you have any issues amine blush? If so how did you polish or clean this up?

I have some very mild orange peel look on the set I did, it can only be seen when looking at an angle.

I was thinking of some wet sanding with a clear acrylic spray coat.
Fighting gravity on a daily basis
www.Whiteroomcustomskis.com
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

I wasn't sure what amine blush is so thanks to Google,

http://www.yachtpaint.com/usa/diy/ask-t ... blush.aspx

http://www.epoxyschool.com/blog/?p=202

Humidity and temperature seem to be the main factors.
gozaimaas

Post by gozaimaas »

I use veneer on all my boards. I prefer to go for a satin finish because it will not show scratches like a polished finish and it looks really classy. I use polyurethane and then rub it back with green scotchbrite.

barnboy

Post by barnboy »

No blush so far, but after reading the links des posted i'd have to say just pure luck. I'm subterranean, and normally at this step in the Fall, so the conditions are cool for sure, but tend to be pretty dry. Now I'm nervous amine blush. Thanks!