Titanal is Al-7068T6 with phosphoric acid anodization

For discussions related to the type of materials to build skis/snowboards and where to get them.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

kelvin
Site Admin

Post by kelvin »

The titanal is that length mostly for practical reasons and I tried to get a size that would accommodate as many uses as possible.

The titanal is phosphoric acid anodized for bonding and it is only available in lengths up to 8m. It would have been nice to be able to get it in uncut roll. Shipping is easier too.

It is wide enough for full width on a snowboard or a pair of skis and if you want full length, you can use 2 sheets with a seam under the bindings. I think having a seam under the bindings isn't too big of a deal.

If you want to use it as strips, it is short enough to fit in common sheet metal sheers.
FigmentOriginal

Post by FigmentOriginal »

Just found this source:

http://www.nowave.fr/pantyhose-titanal-amag-t6.html

Available in different lengths, perhaps custom lengths as well?
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

.5 is pretty thick. I was hoping for .3 but I think amag discontinued this thickness.
sammer wrote: I'm still a tang on top guy.
pmg

Post by pmg »

Hi,

skibaumarkt.de offers 0.6mm and 0.8mm thick titanal. Will give the 0.6mm a try in the build after the current one. Will be hard not to use too much fibres then, compensates for a complete triax layer.

Rode my race ski today, the skis I have with titanal really rock. So I will give it a try.
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

The price looks decent. I'm going to try building another pair of racing ski snow that I have more ski building experience. My race ski also has 2 layers of titanal (Fischer RC4 GS). Don't know the thickness of metal but will try to get a measurement.
pmg

Post by pmg »

On some of the RC4s its written, I think its 0.8 (thats the way its written on the ski).

Which RC4 is it? The common one with about 18m or the "real" race ski with 23 or more meters radius?
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

It's the RC4 GS World Cup. I believe it's the real race ski. The radius says R>27, 180cm.
pmg

Post by pmg »

Yeah, thats the "real" race ski. Then the binding is fine, thats why I asked. On the "normal" model from 3 years ago the binding plate was **** and something everyone owning the ski should watch carefully.
macglide

Post by macglide »

have you already built a pair with titanal? I'm gonna build a GS Ski (180cm, 23m radius) and searching for some experiences regarding thinckness of the core and amount of fiber.
Cheers