mastic tape

For discussions related to the type of materials to build skis/snowboards and where to get them.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

the.quass

mastic tape

Post by the.quass »

Hi folks, I have been trying to find some mastic tape to seal when vacuum bagging. Everywhere I go people look at me like I am speaking some strange language when I ask for it here in Australia. Does anyone know what other names it could be called or what its originally designed to do? Any other suggestions? I was thinking about silicon or some sort of caulking/sealer. Run a bead around and use a roller to fix the plastic.
sammer

Post by sammer »

What about this, seems pricey but I think everything in OZ is.
http://www.playwithcarbon.com/products/ ... -tape.html
It was the top of the list on google "vacuum bagging supplies australia"

sam
You don't even have a legit signature, nothing to reveal who you are and what you do...

Best of luck to you. (uneva)
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

Try butyl.
sammer wrote: I'm still a tang on top guy.
ProbsMagobs

Post by ProbsMagobs »

You should try modeling clay. its pretty cheap and does the same thing. it just requires some more work to get it into a long strip
dbabicwa

Re: mastic tape

Post by dbabicwa »

the.quass wrote:Hi folks, I have been trying to find some mastic tape to seal when vacuum bagging. Everywhere I go people look at me like I am speaking some strange language when I ask for it here in Australia. Does anyone know what other names it could be called or what its originally designed to do? Any other suggestions? I was thinking about silicon or some sort of caulking/sealer. Run a bead around and use a roller to fix the plastic.
The other suggestion which works in great lengths for me is the Blu Tack.

I cut it in about 5mm strips and when vacuuming using a roller to seal. It will seal everything you slap on it:) Great product, reusable, cheap.

Just protect from dust when storing your rocker table with something...
the.quass

Post by the.quass »

Thanks everyone. I did search and look at vacuum bag suppliers in oz but everything seemed real exxy. I will give the blue tac a crack. Thanks again. Vacuum gauge to purchase and I can probably do my first board the weekend after next.
dbabicwa

Post by dbabicwa »

I've got a pro vac connectors and heaps of industry standards SS inserts if u are interested. Shipment from Perth...
BlueRoof

Post by BlueRoof »

Adhesive grade butyl mastic tapes are stock in trade as for the communications industry. As cable joint sealant. Blue Tack on steroids. Also electrical trades.