Fleece? To keep the ski warm?

For discussions related to the type of materials to build skis/snowboards and where to get them.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

summitskier

Fleece? To keep the ski warm?

Post by summitskier »

MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

looks nice. lets get some?
sammer wrote: I'm still a tang on top guy.
summitskier

Post by summitskier »

got some, ill test it soon. seems heavy. seems like it would work best between base and fiberglass. any ideas montucky?

Post by Guest »

I bet the fleece is to help keep the epoxy under control. Maybe its giving them flatter bases? I doubt it provides much structural effect or dampening benefit.

Have you used any innegra yet? I built a pair a couple years ago with a layer in it. I built an identical pair minus the innegra to compare it with, and then I sold that pair like an idiot. I really liked the skis, and put 40-60 days on them, but I'm not sure how much the innegra effected the skis other than making them heavier.
powderho

Post by powderho »

Anonymous wrote:I bet the fleece is to help keep the epoxy under control. Maybe its giving them flatter bases? I doubt it provides much structural effect or dampening benefit.

Have you used any innegra yet? I built a pair a couple years ago with a layer in it. I built an identical pair minus the innegra to compare it with, and then I sold that pair like an idiot. I really liked the skis, and put 40-60 days on them, but I'm not sure how much the innegra effected the skis other than making them heavier.
This is my comment BTW and I meant to mention I have some innegra if you want some. I think its a standard weave about 4-6oz in weight.
Richuk

Post by Richuk »

Sounds/Looks like it is being used to protect the structural integrity of the FG layer.

PH, if you'd be willing to put a small sample in a small envelope, I'd be interested in seeing it.
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

Richuk wrote:Sounds/Looks like it is being used to protect the structural integrity of the FG layer.
"Structural integrity" is a buzzword Rich :) I don't quite follow what you mean?
Richuk

Post by Richuk »

Haha - not meant to be. Apologies if that's how it came off.

I thought there were two interesting points in the data/research. The first was the relatively high strain to failure percentage. The second was the impact test results/examples. In the absence of a 'catch all failures' titanal layer, within the Kastle example, I was assuming this was their solution? Could be quite wrong ... who knows what they mean by fleece???

Preserving the integrity of the FG layer (base) is not something we've really discussed. It not the biggest concern when home building, but different solutions are captured in various videos/online resources and I'm interested in finding a solution. Perhaps I was just trying to give a new thread a heading?

Very keen to know your thoughts about the material Twizz!
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

At first glance I just hear a tiny voice in my head saying "heavy!".

So by structural integrity, you're thinking impact resistance. That makes sense, but I would think there are better solutions for that (biax kevlar), and I personally don't think base impact is a common failure point for skis/boards.

But like you said, who knows what they mean by "fleece". I'm envisioning a cut-off piece of my sweater sleeve stuck inside my ski, and I know it's not that thick!

I've heard engineers in aerospace say things like "this will improve structural integrity", and sometimes you have to poke that a bit more - what does that even mean? :)
powderho

Post by powderho »

When I read 'fleece' this is what I thought of: http://www.freemansupply.com/AirtechUltraweaveB.htm

We use this stuff all the time at work but as a process material. It never ends up in the finished product. It's used to control the resin bleed out and resin flow during cure. Maybe this fleece is used to ensure full resin coverage over the edge teeth? I've heard a rumor of a local builder using some cloth "filter", that is sort of fleece-like, for this very reason. I think they were using thin strips over the edges. Anyway they got flatter bases and the edge teeth didn't show through the base anymore.
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

Could this matetial be used instead of the edge rebbet?
added weight for dampening and ease production?
deepskis

Post by deepskis »

MontuckyMadman wrote:Could this matetial be used instead of the edge rebbet?
I think it could be. Those skis are very heavy!
Every turn is a sign of fear

www.deepskis.com
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

The kaestles are very light I'm not sure what numbers you see but 2000g per ski at those lengths/widths is not very heavy.
deepskis

Post by deepskis »

Just held them in my hand and they felt heavy. Maby the numbers show different..
Every turn is a sign of fear

www.deepskis.com
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

MontuckyMadman wrote:Could this matetial be used instead of the edge rebbet?
I stopped doing an edge rabbit since I have a 3" wide strip of CF under my core in all of my skis. Not quite as thick as the edge teeth, but it's close.