What to use for a base flood coat?

For discussions related to the type of materials to build skis/snowboards and where to get them.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

twizzstyle

What to use for a base flood coat?

Post by twizzstyle »

I bought some flourescent orange base material a few weeks ago from SkiLab, got it and realized it's the same as some stuff I had last year at one point. It's very translucent, so when I attached the edges I could see the edge teeth and I didn't like it, so I scrapped it.

I don't want to waste it again, so I'm thinking if I apply a white coating to one side, then the edges won't show up and it will look much better. But I'm not sure what to use.

Epoxy with pigment? I worry about getting too thick a layer and just adding weight/thickness.

Just white spray paint? Would that adhere well to the UHMWPE? Would it adhere well to the rest of the ski (edges/resin)

Has anybody done any flood coating of base materials?
troublemaker

Post by troublemaker »

adhesion promoter like "bulldog" should work. They spray it on rubber and plastic bumper cover for cars before they are painted. It is in spray can and can get it local auto parts stores.
deepskis

Post by deepskis »

Had the same problem last year..

Bought som green base from Crown and you could see right thrue it. I used epoxy with black pigment during the layup and it worked just fine. :D
Every turn is a sign of fear

www.deepskis.com
falls

Post by falls »

Otherwise some white nazdar epoxy screen printing ink. You can paint it on with a brush or roller especially if you thin it a bit.
Don't wait up, I'm off to kill Summer....
chrismp

Post by chrismp »

water based acrylic paint from the hardware store!! been painting base graphics with this stuff for the last five boards and no bonding issues whatsoever! murchonn uses acrylic paint as well.

edit: make some sample pieces if you don't believe it. paint is cheap!
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

Nice Chris, thanks! I'll do some test pieces, but I think I'll plan on that. That's easy.
troublemaker

Post by troublemaker »

chrismp wrote:water based acrylic paint from the hardware store!! been painting base graphics with this stuff for the last five boards and no bonding issues whatsoever! murchonn uses acrylic paint as well.

edit: make some sample pieces if you don't believe it. paint is cheap!
FYI.. You can also use acrylic paint to tint silicone.
knightsofnii

Post by knightsofnii »

our pink base from crown is semi transparent as well.
Can see the edges and the rubber. But its hot pink, and its rad, we got over it ;).

Yea probably a darker color pigment in the epoxy, would camoflauge the edges, dark grey or black probably, or like you said flood coat it, but let it sit and dry for a while

I've gotten flood coated bases from people and jumped right into a build, and they fell apart, the same bases after sitting for a couple weeks bonded super strong.
Doug