Yellow Cedar Cores

For discussions related to the type of materials to build skis/snowboards and where to get them.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

ru-tang

Yellow Cedar Cores

Post by ru-tang »

After some forum searching, there are only a few time I could find people referencing cedar. It seemed to me that only red cedar was discussed.

I got a really good deal on some Alaskan Yellow Cedar that I use in my whitewater paddles. Its a great wood for paddle cores, nice soft flex, great strength. Has anybody used in for ski cores?

I am most concerned about binding screw retention. Is epoxying the screws the solution to less dense core woods?

Thanks

Jon
deepskis

Re: Yellow Cedar Cores

Post by deepskis »

ru-tang wrote:I am most concerned about binding screw retention. Is epoxying the screws the solution to less dense core woods?

Thanks

Jon
Hi ru-tang!
In that case you could use inserts. Very strong!
Every turn is a sign of fear

www.deepskis.com
KindredSnow

Post by KindredSnow »

I use yellow cedar in some capacity on all my boards, usually with fir and/or a hardwood. Nice tight "woven" grain, very strong but very light. You can bend the strips basically in half before they fracture, unlike red cedar which tends to be quite brittle. I really like how it rides as well. Gives a nice "damp" feel.
KindredSnow

Post by KindredSnow »

skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

I haven't seen yellow cedar around much lately in my area. I think I used yellow cedar for my deck. Is it free of knots? Sounds like a good core material. This company uses cedar but doesn't say what type.