cleaning epoxy with vinegar

For discussions related to the type of materials to build skis/snowboards and where to get them.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

vinman

cleaning epoxy with vinegar

Post by vinman »

I ran across a nice little tip I had not heard before, clean up epoxy with white vinegar.

This is useful for cleaning tools and brushes and is safer than using chemical solvents when cleaning up skin. I'm looking for more references on cleaning up from skin at the moment but from what I've found so far it seems to work.

some good resources

http://www.epoxysafety.com/
http://www.epoxymethods.com/faqs.htm
Fighting gravity on a daily basis
www.Whiteroomcustomskis.com
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

Great info! I've reluctantly been using Acetone for cleanup. The fact that it evaporates so quickly can't be good for you among other health concerns from using Acetone. Vinegar is super cheap.
vinman

Post by vinman »

Seems like the most recommended cleaner for Getting epoxy components or Mixed epoxy off skin is some sort of waterless cleaner. The Gojo automotive wipes keep coming up and seem to be a good option. After more research the Gojo is isopropyl alochol based so I'm not sure this is a good option after all.

Hardman makes a waterless cleaner and the Permatex fast orange is solvent free hand cleaner that will remove uncured epoxy from skin.
Fighting gravity on a daily basis
www.Whiteroomcustomskis.com
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

some of you guys are using entropy and if so warm soapy water works very well.
sammer wrote: I'm still a tang on top guy.
barnboy

fast orange

Post by barnboy »

I find fast orange works pretty good. I'd avoid the acetone though, you're better off with the epoxy on your skin then that stuff soaking in to your nervous system / organs.

I'm looking forward to playing around with the entropy stuff on the next few pairs.
Huck Pitueee

Post by Huck Pitueee »

I've heard letting epoxy harden on your skin is best for your health because if you wash it the epoxy gets diluted and absorbs into your skin more.
When I have to clean my hands butter works great. Yea cow butter.