0 Degree Fibers: Stupid Q?

For discussions related to the type of materials to build skis/snowboards and where to get them.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

MontuckyMadman

0 Degree Fibers: Stupid Q?

Post by MontuckyMadman »

Say I want to use some 3" wide 0 degree carbon in my layup.
If I use 12" long sections to go the length rather than 1 continuous fiber will I get the snappyness of tension that I desire or does it need to be one continuous piece?
I think it needs to be continuous fiber but could not get this through my co-building friends head.

Ideas?
sammer wrote: I'm still a tang on top guy.
vinman

Post by vinman »

I don't think you'd the effect you're looking for with segmented sections.
Fighting gravity on a daily basis
www.Whiteroomcustomskis.com
COsurfer

Post by COsurfer »

I agree with Vinman. I think you would get a segmented flex pattern. With a full length strand the forces would translate more evenly and smoother.
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

What they said/what you thought. It will make a difference, but not as much, but the segmented pieces probably do more than you'd think. But I would say there is no reason to intentionally do that, unless you have left over scraps.

I have a giant garbage bag full of CF scraps from a friend's ski company that they didn't need, and for the last few pairs I've done I've just been using those scraps which are on the order of ~18" long or so, I overlapped the segments an inch or so too. Has worked fine for me.
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

yeah scrap.
I want to use on top only for some of taht snappy rebound on a pow ski that is gonna be real damp.
So overlap will give me some of that effect.
I do not want a segmented flex pattern.
Its 9oz uni and was gonna be about 3 inches wide or so.
I thought it would not in that type of load when the ski decambers more or deflects.
Only way to know is try it.
vinman

Post by vinman »

I have some basalt fiber that I was thinking about using in this manner. I have a friend that wants a really light weight touring/BC ski. I was going to use full length carbon tow and then use the basalt only in areas that need a little beefing up like in the tips or perhaps under the binding so I can go with a slightly thinner core and beef it up some extra fibers.

These are also short enough that I though about using them on a 45 or 60 deg axis to beef up the torsional stiffness on really wide skis.
Fighting gravity on a daily basis
www.Whiteroomcustomskis.com
feldybikes

Post by feldybikes »

No experience in this area, but I was going to say go with the overlap. Except I'd overlap more like 50% like this (we'll see if this ASCII representation works):

_____ _____ _____ _____
___ _____ _____ _____ _____
_____ _____ _____ _____

I would think 12" lengths with only a 1" overlap would still result in a "hingy" flex. But again, I've never tried putting CF stringers in period so my comments are purely theoretical.
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

Hey MM, stupid question but you're still using a layer of triax FG right? I wouldn't worry about a segmented flex pattern if you still have the fiberglass, if it was CF only then it might be different.
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

Right the 12 oz uni glass fibers will round out any segmentation that might be felt.