Resin Viscosity

For discussions related to the type of materials to build skis/snowboards and where to get them.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

cainguy

Resin Viscosity

Post by cainguy »

My first post...what a great resource you guys have built....Awesome!!

Ive been reading a lot of the forum topics for a few months now and am keen to give this building thin a try.

I have,
almost all the steel needed to make a press wide enough for one ski at a time
a line on some fire hose
found a local bambooo supplier, all other supplies from BS
done lots of laminations for large bowl turning and the like so, I have some experiance with resins and dificult to bond woods, and have all of the small tools required

The trouble I'm having is finding a local supplier that carries the resins and info I need.

I live in a small town on the West Coast of Canada where there is limited local info for resins used for ski building...however there is a lot of marine applications locally.

I have visited both of the major suppliers that are close.
West wouldn't help me stating "too much liability"???? I don't get that attitude....he must not give any marine advice either??

Industrial Plastics were super helpful but the "expert" there wasn't sure of what the requirements would be for cold curing under pressure.

He thought that it was the high viscosity so as to not press out too much epoxy. I had noticed some of you use much lower viscosity than say the QCM EMV 0043 (7-9000)and when I showed him the data for Entropy CPM (1300) is where he began to wonder about the requirements.

He suggested using West G-Flex but had no viscosity values for me but he did have a price....$74cad for 32oz. WOW that sure pushes up the costs

Can anyone point me in the right direction.

and thatks again for all the info so far.
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

I pressed several pair at room temp with the west 102 or whatever it is in marine shops.
Yes the glass will probably be resin poor and the ride is not damp with west.
The ski will not delam unless you do something wrong or ride it 100+ days a season.
The west is not formulated for compression molding but it does work.
The entropy can be used as a room temp cure, it is formulated for compression and is thicker than the west.
The west will burn you if you leave it on your skin, we use entropy with heat you can eat it.
sammer wrote: I'm still a tang on top guy.
cainguy

Post by cainguy »

Thanks MM,

I'll keep trying to get the Entropy here at a reasonable cost while I continue with the press and form building.

Also thanks for the safety tip but I'll stick to bacon and eggs.