Bamboo for snowboards

For discussions related to the type of materials to build skis/snowboards and where to get them.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

RJP

Bamboo for snowboards

Post by RJP »

Hi all,

I am chasing a supplier for Bamboo in Australia. I will happily buy from overseas if needed though.

I have a few questions as to what I should actually be looking for.

Is bamboo incorporated into a snowboard core the same way as a conventional timber core. I.E. vertical lamination? I have read of some people using bamboo flooring laminated to achieve this.

How is it actually done?

I have read a few posts on here but can't quite understand how to go about it all.

Thanks guys.
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

Yes, vertically laminated flooring works amazing. Do not use horizontally laminated. I did once, got 3 days on the skis and the core ripped open.

I buy vertically laminated flooring boards (from a place local to me in Seattle, Wa, USA). You can buy larger sheets that would be easier for a snowboard, I typically have to glue two flooring boards together to make enough width for a ski core.

Other than that, it's no different than working with any other wood core material. The properties of the material is a little different of course, but that's what experimentation is for.
falls

Post by falls »

http://www.crikeybamboo.com.au/
These guys have helped out before
Depends where you are
Bamboo Direct in Coffs Harbour are another option.
For snowboards I would suggest trying to get unfinished vertically laminated bamboo sheets so you can cut a core directly out without having to glue boards together.
Steer absolutely clear of varnished floorboards or panels as removing the varnish is just another annoying step in the process that can be avoided
Don't wait up, I'm off to kill Summer....