bamboo lumber supplier

For discussions related to the type of materials to build skis/snowboards and where to get them.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

neatturns

bamboo lumber supplier

Post by neatturns »

I am looking for a bamboo lumber supplier for the WA or Oregon area for wood cores. I have done the flooring wood, but I would like to buy the actual lumber boards or plywood.

thanks!
ggardner90

Post by ggardner90 »

Calibamboo they have 1/2in 4 by 8ft sheets of plywood it is where we get all of our wood from. It saves so much time not having to laminate planks
doughboyshredder

Post by doughboyshredder »

WhitePine

Post by WhitePine »

ggardner - I'm in SLC too. Is it really cheaper to have it shipped from Calibamboo than to source it from local distribution center like DB's McKillican source?
nearls

Post by nearls »

Windsor plywood has it here in Canada. I reckon their US locations would carry similar stuff.
cainguy

Post by cainguy »

Winsdsor Ply wants $35 for a 1"x6"x8'...Ive seen the product and it looks great but $70 for cores seems too pricey.

Ive been searching around and Calibamboo sells this $13 for a 2"x6"x8'

http://www.calibamboo.com/bamboo-lumber-lumboo.html

It looks plenty strong as a board but I don't know how it would do near the tip/tail spacers.

There must be a reasonably priced supplier somewhere.

JT
Dtrain

supplier

Post by Dtrain »

pm sent
hegan

Post by hegan »

cainguy wrote:Winsdsor Ply wants $35 for a 1"x6"x8'...Ive seen the product and it looks great but $70 for cores seems too pricey.

Ive been searching around and Calibamboo sells this $13 for a 2"x6"x8'

http://www.calibamboo.com/bamboo-lumber-lumboo.html

It looks plenty strong as a board but I don't know how it would do near the tip/tail spacers.

There must be a reasonably priced supplier somewhere.

JT
I just took a look at that site, they have some good deals. But here is my question would it be possible to buy a 2in x 6in x 8ft cut to to 1in x 6x x 8f to .5 in x 6 in with a table saw? Buying one plank of bamboo for 4 skis.
hegan

Post by hegan »

sammer

Post by sammer »

hegan wrote: I just took a look at that site, they have some good deals. But here is my question would it be possible to buy a 2in x 6in x 8ft cut to to 1in x 6x x 8f to .5 in x 6 in with a table saw? Buying one plank of bamboo for 4 skis.
You've got to factor in the kerf. Thin kerf ripping blade is around 1/8", so every cut your losing that plus your cuts won't be perfect so run it thru the planer your losing another 1/8".
So now your 2" is now two 3/4" planks (maybe a bit more).
That's supposing that it starts out as 2", most 2" lumber is only 1 1/2" to start. 2x4's are 1 1/2 x 3 1/2.

Just something to thing about.

sam
You don't even have a legit signature, nothing to reveal who you are and what you do...

Best of luck to you. (uneva)
hegan

Post by hegan »

sammer wrote:
hegan wrote: I just took a look at that site, they have some good deals. But here is my question would it be possible to buy a 2in x 6in x 8ft cut to to 1in x 6x x 8f to .5 in x 6 in with a table saw? Buying one plank of bamboo for 4 skis.
You've got to factor in the kerf. Thin kerf ripping blade is around 1/8", so every cut your losing that plus your cuts won't be perfect so run it thru the planer your losing another 1/8".
So now your 2" is now two 3/4" planks (maybe a bit more).
That's supposing that it starts out as 2", most 2" lumber is only 1 1/2" to start. 2x4's are 1 1/2 x 3 1/2.

Just something to thing about.

sam
True forgot about that looking at more of a 1.5in x 5.5 in lumber. What I'm worried about is, would that lumber work well for a core?
Dr. Delam

Post by Dr. Delam »

If you look at the bottom of the page, the actual dimensions are 1 x 5 ". That stuff looks like it has a lot of voids just like most plywood. I would stay away from it.
hegan

Post by hegan »

Dr. Delam wrote:If you look at the bottom of the page, the actual dimensions are 1 x 5 ". That stuff looks like it has a lot of voids just like most plywood. I would stay away from it.
Ok, well were do you guys get bamboo? I have been looking all over for wide bamboo flooring and all I have found is the snap and lock flooring. I'm not to sure if that would work out well if i trim off the snaps with my table saw.
Dtrain

Post by Dtrain »

The flooring works fine. Get it. Or drop cash and get 4x8 sheets of the vertical grain . Teregan, smith and mong. Etc, etc. unless you buyin a few cubic meters directly from china. It's not cheap. 100 bucks for a box of flooring. 3 sets pow skis, or like 150-200 for a 4x8 sheet of the same stuff. Simple google searches, will find dealers in your area. The minute the 4x& sheets are sold as smaller pieces, I.E. Windsor plywood, the price goes up.
Dtrain

Post by Dtrain »

Buy it and mix it with something else to save cash