Bamboo cores and sidewalls

For discussions related to the type of materials to build skis/snowboards and where to get them.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

bcustom

Bamboo cores and sidewalls

Post by bcustom »

I am planing to make snowboard with bamboo core and bamboo sidewalls.

But do I really need Bamboo core and sidewalls seperately?

Or Could I use just Bamboo core make snowboard shape so it could be core and sidewalls in One layer?
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

When I've done bare bamboo sidewalls, I did do separate sidewalls. My theory is this: water absorbs by going down the grain of the material (I'm no biologist, so this might be completely wrong), if you cut the sidecut into the core, you have open exposed end grain where water can absorb. By gluing on a separate sidewall strip, I have no exposed end grain.
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

You can bleed the core out. the bamboo has lots of small lamination's to make up the vert lam. When you cut the flash and sidecut on the ski you will cut into the lamination's exposing small sections of wood and teh endgrain like twizz said. This is less ideal but will last for at least a season.
We do this for proto skis not any production.
Eventually water will encroach on this mutilamination points and some small sections could fall out on the sidewall after 60 days or so of skiiing.
It is less durable.
sammer wrote: I'm still a tang on top guy.
amidnightproject

Post by amidnightproject »

You will still get exposed end grain even if you glue a strip on. When you cut your sidewall bevel you will effectively (at some point down the ski at both ends) expose end grain. Albeit not as many openings for water, but it will still happen. If you follow up with some nice hard marine epoxy after the matter you should be fine. Just seal it all up.