Ski cores help!!

For discussions related to the type of materials to build skis/snowboards and where to get them.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

momentz

Ski cores help!!

Post by momentz »

hey guys! I know your answers are going to be like you need to read and i would just like to say that I have looked through this and found nothing on this subject. so My question is there any place I could by laminates ski cores because I have no tools that would be able to help cut out a core and and laminate and profile it. So is there any place I could buy prefinished ski cores or pre laminated sheets I could use as my core? Thanks so much!
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

My personal opinion? This is probably the simplest part of the ski building process, and if you can't laminate and shape some wood together, this hobby might be a little over your head. (I don't mean that in a mean way)

SnowboardMaterials.com sells pre-profiled/shaped snowboard cores, but as far as I know not ski cores. Wouldn't hurt to ask though.
holmtech

Post by holmtech »

User bobbyrobie on here will make you pre-profiled ski cores. I was going to use him but ended up buying a planer and am finishing up a profiler.

Send bobbyrobie a PM.
Sherpa Burns

Re: Ski cores help!!

Post by Sherpa Burns »

momentz wrote:hey guys! I know your answers are going to be like you need to read and i would just like to say that I have looked through this and found nothing on this subject. so My question is there any place I could by laminates ski cores because I have no tools that would be able to help cut out a core and and laminate and profile it. So is there any place I could buy prefinished ski cores or pre laminated sheets I could use as my core? Thanks so much!
Having no tools is going to be a problem.
ggardner90

Post by ggardner90 »

i will echo what everyone else has said, not having a router, planer and band saw is going to be an issue for you. but i will happily make you any core you want.
sammer

Post by sammer »

Really all you need to make cores, a cheap table saw, I paid $75 for mine (new) and a decent router. The rest you can fake if your inventive.
Cores are the core, it's the part that makes it your ski, molds and the rest are just as difficult and may need more tooling, depending on your method of production.

I'm getting tired of saying ... read everything, then come up with a plan based on what you can do.
It's not rocket science, but it's probably way more addictive :D

Cores are probably the most important part of the ski! If your going to buy pre-profiled cores just spend the extra and buy skis.

Or continue on the path your heading down and bla bla bla, bla bla bla.

sam
You don't even have a legit signature, nothing to reveal who you are and what you do...

Best of luck to you. (uneva)
Richuk

Post by Richuk »

'Outsourcing' isn't a new approach, it's February after all. Making skis with limited resources and or tools isn't what we do?
Last edited by Richuk on Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

Momentz, You're going to need some power tools when it come time to cut flashing off, etc. At least a jig saw and router with decent router bits.

Sammer said it best...