formica top sheet

For discussions related to the type of materials to build skis/snowboards and where to get them.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

troublemaker

formica top sheet

Post by troublemaker »

How thick of top sheet have yall used using formica?
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

I tried formica as a topsheet and it didn't bond well. It popped right off before I had a chance to cut the flashing off. Bonding issues could have been for other reasons, but I never tried it again. Search on Formica and you see the tests I did.
troublemaker

Post by troublemaker »

What if I applied the formica after the lay up and curing? And used contact cement AKA formica glue.
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

Actually I did apply the Formica afterwards. I had a top sheet on the ski already, sanded it off, then tried the Formica w/ epoxy. Didn't hold. You could try a different adhesive.
BLOODTYPEZX10R

Post by BLOODTYPEZX10R »

the base material in Formica or the like, is paper. The color on top is basically paint. It chips very easily, is not designed for dynamics that skiis or boards produce. I did-back in 1979 make my very first snowboard with a formica base. It was for powder-deep-deep powder. It actually worked well. But in such deep powder, needed no flex-it does not work as a base or topsheet, unless of course-you are covering a countertop.
jono

Post by jono »

I think formica is a paper layer that is soaked in a resin and then cured with heat to become solid sheets. The resins are not engineered to deal with constant movement and temperature extremes found in skis.

Why not use the same process with a paper substrate, maybe with a layer of kevlar non woven mat, and epoxy resins that we use in skis for a built in formica topsheet? I imagine there might be weight and UV issues.
troublemaker

Post by troublemaker »

maybe so, good idea.