help with new press!

For discussions related to the type of materials to build skis/snowboards and where to get them.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

momentz

help with new press!

Post by momentz »

hey guys as you probably see I am new here and in the ski building world! so my question is for my new press where can i buy a aluminum track to go under the hose in it? thanks alot guys!
Dr. Delam

Post by Dr. Delam »

I used onlinemetals.com and they were reasonble.
SkiTheNortheast

Post by SkiTheNortheast »

try a local scrapmetal place, they can be really cheap
momentz

Post by momentz »

where are the tracks or do I need to construct them and also can i buy premade ski molds?
SkiTheNortheast

Post by SkiTheNortheast »

buy a lot of 1/2"x1/2" square aluminum tubing and string it all together
doughboyshredder

Post by doughboyshredder »

Dr. Delam wrote:I used onlinemetals.com and they were reasonble.
LMAO.

Trust me they weren't reasonable.

Online metals charges up to 400% more than you would pay at a local wholesaler.
doughboyshredder

Post by doughboyshredder »

Oh, and time for Momentz to start reading.
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

Yes please do some reading Momentz, you have much to learn. You'll have to make your own cattrack, people have done it many ways. I use 3/4" square aluminum. You may be able to find someone to CNC you some mold pieces, but it's not going to be cheap. Better off making your own molds when you're just starting, again read around the forum and you'll see different ways folks are making molds.
Dr. Delam

Post by Dr. Delam »

doughboyshredder wrote:
Dr. Delam wrote:I used onlinemetals.com and they were reasonble.
LMAO.

Trust me they weren't reasonable.

Online metals charges up to 400% more than you would pay at a local wholesaler.
Did I get ripped off? I paid $48 for my material for my cat track.
ggardner90

Post by ggardner90 »

spend some time on the internet and call around i found a guy i utah who is amazing at making molds. i send him a drawing and go pic up my ne mold template later that day for like 20 bucks and half the time he doesnt even charge me. i would recommend finding a sign making shop he has a cnc router.
Sherpa Burns

Post by Sherpa Burns »

Definitely shop local whenever and wherever you can. Shipping is often times damn near as much as the material. A local metal shop/supplier will be your best bet. 3/4" aluminum tubing, 1'8" wall thickness is what you want. They will usually cut to lengths you need as well. Having them cut it will saves you hours. This is also a good source if you're going to do it right and build a proper I beam press.
A local cnc shop will become one of your favorite places....granted you can use a cad program to draw what you want. When I told my local shop I was going to be building skis, they were pumped and did the first few templates free just to sell me on their services. Kinda cool and it worked. Now everything costs $60 for 8 pieces regardless of size or shape. So, bottom molds end up being about 130 dollars.
Take the advice above and read every topic and every post in this forum. After that, you will still scratch your head, but you'll know which direction to go.
Dtrain

Post by Dtrain »

I am a long time reader and new builder. I will be picking up my free local I beams up this Sunday.

QUESTION: the flanges are 7'' wide allowing my press to only be 14'' wide. Not wide enough for 2 fatty plank pressing. Is it Safe/Logical to create the press with a gap between the two top beams and two bottom beam? If I could leave a gap then I could make the press wider!

any thoughts?
telehead

Post by telehead »

For sure! I used W6 x 20 WF beams, then put standard 3" channel from web to web just under the flanges (flush with bottom of flange) on 12" centers. I then put a 3/8" X 5" HR flat bar between the flanges to create the bed for the bottom, and the top that is 17" wide. Then out af a 48" aluminum you can get 3 cassettes that are 16". Works great! Just have to be sure your flanges are a thickness that you can purchase flat bar in...kt
threeninethree

Post by threeninethree »

I have (2) monster w14x38 beams on the bottom. They are 6.77" wide, so I have a gap of about 2.5" (press is 16" wide). My bases come out fine. I do have a 3/4" mdf laying between the beams and the bottom mold and a 1/4" thick sheet of aluminum on top of the bottom mold also.
viewtopic.php?t=1416&start=0&postdays=0 ... ht=annular
~ Matt
Dtrain

Post by Dtrain »

Thanks you guys! I am F'N Amped. Patience is a virtue that I am currently practicing....Not gonna rush it. Do it right the first time.
:idea: