Renewable Materials

For discussions related to the type of materials to build skis/snowboards and where to get them.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

andreas wrote:Next in the cue are two identical skis in all respects except the composite. Then I can accurately test the differences between the triax glass and the bamboo both in the lab and on snow. Should be interesting.
Now you're talking, that's my kind of test! :) I'll be anxiously looking forward to the results
andreas

Post by andreas »

twizzstyle wrote: The thought always occurs to me though, if I do a bamboo core with a bamboo composite... is there really any point to the composite, other than something to hold the epoxy in place?
This is getting a little off topic but this is how I've been thinking about it:

I am by no means a composites expert but the biggest advantages I can see with using a fabric in combination with the core is the ability to isolate and orient the direction of the fibers. The bamboo core is going to effectively have all of its fibers running the length of the ski. Then we can orient the fabric in any direction we want, usually 45/45. The other major advantage is simply having a material that will effectively absorb and hold the resin, as you stated. But other than fiber orientation, a veneer may do the same thing. ;)
Idris

Post by Idris »

Flax fibers Bcomp.ch a little stiffer and more damp than glass ;)
Richuk

Post by Richuk »

If I understand this correctly, the suggestion is that the 0 degree orientated fibers are redundant in this example - at least partly, as the orientation of the core fibres provide this function.

So the suggestion being you are replacing like for like ... but will this be the case?

The original layup already relies, in some small part of the fibres within the core. So you would need to ensure the resin was penetrating more deeply than the original lay-up to approximate a similar result. This already assumes a lot about equivalence of the core material v fabric fibre and the ability to source repeatable results.

The stiffness of the ski is in large part dependent on the distance between the laminate layers ... so you would need to add approximately/in the region 0.8mm to the thickness of the core to compensate. Assuming an equivalence between the mechanical properties of the core fibres and the redundant fabric.

I suspect this would be a really interesting experiment, up until, after a passage of time, the ski went bang as a result of the absence of reinforcement. The DPS/Bcomp approach to core construction is an option and may resolve many of the issues faced by such a layup, but you may consider it generates too much waste in this instance.

Good luck
prospectsnow

Post by prospectsnow »

http://www.envirotextile.com/

I've used some hemp canvas. First as a reinforcement to replace carbon fiber.

Thinking I might go topsheet similar to what ride does. I layed up a sample and it wets out to almost clear.
We have snowboard and kiteboard build kits!
https://prtahoe.com/collections/build-kits
knightsofnii

Post by knightsofnii »

i sell my tip fill offcuts leftovers to you guys, for pennies on the dollar, does that count towards making the planet a pinch greener? :)
Doug