How much epoxy per pair of skis?

For discussions related to the type of materials to build skis/snowboards and where to get them.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

vinman

Post by vinman »

SkiTheNortheast wrote:I think Jamewstown is just an online supplier, and they don´t have the cmp resin, I´m not sure how good the other ones are
There may be some info on this forum On the difference between the entropy 100/1000 vs the CPM products. From the looks of the data sheets viscosity is the main difference.

Desi is pretty good about answering questions so someone could
Contact him to see about this.
Fighting gravity on a daily basis
www.Whiteroomcustomskis.com
SkiTheNortheast

Post by SkiTheNortheast »

the problem with that system is that it has a 7 day cure cycle, opposed to CPM's 20 minutes. CPM is also a little stronger
Buz

Post by Buz »

i havent had any problems with the supersap 100/1000. press for 9-10 hours no heat (45-50 psi), leave in press for 24 hours, take out (usually bring inside) and wait 5 days before cutting the flash. long process but works. i hope to make the step towards a heat blanket or two this summer
MadRussian

Post by MadRussian »

MadRussian wrote: probably Comprising One have Entropy too.
unfortunately local composite one don't carry in stock Entropy...only California branch ;).
Buz

Post by Buz »

ah thanks for the update MR
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

I'm using Entropy CPM, and for the two pairs I just did this last week I used 400g per ski (800g for the pair). Works out pretty good for me to mix up two batches of 200g worth of epoxy in two cups (with the 100:40 ratio, that's 57g of hardener in the cup, then add resin up to 200g), I use 200g for everything below the core, and 200g for everything above the core.

I got the 3qt kit, but I'm not sure how much it weighs, so I don't know how many skis I can get with the kit.
vinman

Post by vinman »

Wow tizz that seems low to me, what weight glass are you using? With 22 oz glass I feel like there is no way I could use less than 700g. Granted the skis I build are generally long and wide but not too much different from your designs.
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

We are at about 900g total for a pair of longish fat skis with the cpm. Prolly too much but better to much than to little.
sammer wrote: I'm still a tang on top guy.
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

Vinman wrote:Wow tizz that seems low to me, what weight glass are you using? With 22 oz glass I feel like there is no way I could use less than 700g. Granted the skis I build are generally long and wide but not too much different from your designs.
I'm using 19oz triax, plus a 3" wide strip of uni carbon top and bottom (can't remember the weight of the carbon, it's not much). The powder skis I just did are 160cm length, 155/130/145, and with 400g of epoxy I got nice and even wetout during the layup with basically no epoxy left over, and when pressing I still got a fair amount of squeeze-out. I figure as long as I'm getting squeeze-out, there shouldn't (hopefully...) be any dry spots inside the ski.
vinman

Post by vinman »

Nice, I hear you on the squeeze out, but I'm with MM on this one. I'd rather use a bit more epoxy than be worried about potential dry spots.

I think I can comfortably get away with 700g. I typically use 300g above and below the cores and then 100g as a top coat. Right now I'm mixing 800g in 4 batches. But I usually throw out 100-150g at the end. I think I'll just do 3 200g batches and then mix what I need to do the top coat. This might extend my material a little and save a couple $$ even.
Brazen

Post by Brazen »

I always just weigh my fiberglass, match that weight with epoxy plus 10-15%
"86% of the time it works 100% of the time".