What's happened to Boardbuildingsupply.eu?

For discussions related to the type of materials to build skis/snowboards and where to get them.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

RichVH

What's happened to Boardbuildingsupply.eu?

Post by RichVH »

Hi, I'm new to the forum, been hanging about on here absorbing all the useful info. Decided a couple of weeks ago to go for it and order some materials to build my first board. Got everything I could find here in the UK - fibreglass, resin, CF... I had to order the edge and base materials and inserts from europe though and they've not turned up, I ordered from boardbuildingsupply.eu after seeing that they had been recommended on here to others in the UK... That was three weeks ago and I haven't heard anything. Luckily it was paypal so I'll get my money back. Anyone know whats going on with them? Any other supplier I can use? Any help would be greatly appreciated, I'm itching to get started.
Xenia

Post by Xenia »

Not ordered anything from the mentioned supplier. None the less it seems a trend elsewhere on the net that you need threaten a request for your money back before you get delivery. Have you spoken to them yet? Sorry I cannot be more helpful. Perhaps it would be better to source supplies from those who are more active on this forum.
RichVH

Post by RichVH »

I emailed them loads but they never got back to me, no phone number either. I got my money back yesterday and ordered my stuff from snowboardmaterials which turned out cheaper even with shipping from the US. Now all I've got to do is persuade my university that building snowboards definitely is part of a graphic design degree...
Tom C

Post by Tom C »

Hi rich

I think that board building supplies eu have stopped functioning, much like yourself i emailed and left phone numbers but never had any success. Good that you got your money back though!!

For other suppliers in EU try:
BMB ski (Luc is Very Helpful)
Deep skis (sweeden)
there is also a chap in Germany - I have forgotten but im sure it will come back to me...

You mentioned you are a Uni student, Me too. Im at Loughborough (studying Materials Eng.), but do my pressing in Sussex. What sort of press do you have? What sort of ski are you trying to make

Just a Idea - In future we could try combining material orders to save on postage, maybe find a few of us?!

What resin are you using? Heated press?

Cheers

Tom
RichVH

Post by RichVH »

Cheers tom, seeing your post reminded me to check where my stuff has got to! Somewhere between LA and here according to the US postal service. I want to build snowboards, trying to design a jib deck for the snowdome. I haven't built a press yet, I've designed a really simple bolt down press that I'll build over easter when the uni workshop clears out. I've just been trying out a couple of ideas, sticking stuff together with epoxy - I'm using SP 106 at the moment, I've used it on boat repairs before and its fine for that so it seemed a good place to start. Cheap as well.

Are you building skis as part of a uni project? I'm thinking of doing a project researching different ways of applying ski/board graphics.

I'd definitely be up for piggybacking a materials order, the shipping cost about the same as the stuff I ordered. What sort of set up are you using? got any pics of your skis?
Tom C

Post by Tom C »

Hi Rich

Sounds like a interesting project,

I use West Systems epoxy - so far seems to be working well (thats the slow hardener for increased working time)

My ski building activity isnt part of my uni stuff yet, am hoping to do something with it for my masters, but will have to persuade the department first!

I have built a pneumatic ski press in which i press with a fire hose on a compressor. Very impressed with its functionality - unfortunately it is only 180mm wide which is fine for laying up one ski at a time but would be no good for boards. am thinking of making a new press at some point.... big RSJ's etc!! (more of a dream than reality!!)

I will create a photobucket or similar account so that i can send you a link to have a look at some piccys!

What uni are you at?

when are you planning on making your first board?

for composite stuff i can recommend east coast fiberglass, i have had good service from them?!

And good news about the piggy back order!
deepskis

Re: What's happened to Boardbuildingsupply.eu?

Post by deepskis »

RichVH wrote:Hi, I'm new to the forum, been hanging about on here absorbing all the useful info. Decided a couple of weeks ago to go for it and order some materials to build my first board. Got everything I could find here in the UK - fibreglass, resin, CF... I had to order the edge and base materials and inserts from europe though and they've not turned up, I ordered from boardbuildingsupply.eu after seeing that they had been recommended on here to others in the UK... That was three weeks ago and I haven't heard anything. Luckily it was paypal so I'll get my money back. Anyone know whats going on with them? Any other supplier I can use? Any help would be greatly appreciated, I'm itching to get started.
Hi!
I ordered som materials from boardbuildingsupply but they never sent the stuff. I really tried to contact them but no result.

So I started my own shop... :D
Every turn is a sign of fear

www.deepskis.com
AllgäuSki

Post by AllgäuSki »

Guess the chap from Germany Tom has been trying to remember is

skibaumarkt.de

he's from Austria though - same but different ;)
If it's not him and there is another guy selling stuff in Germany I'd be really interested...

Cheers
chris9

Post by chris9 »

i ordered materials fpr my first ski from skibaumarkt last year, got the package within a few days (sent to austria),
I also got prelaminated cores from there which have been really nice done
Cameloth

Re: What's happened to Boardbuildingsupply.eu?

Post by Cameloth »

deepskis wrote:
RichVH wrote:Hi, I'm new to the forum, been hanging about on here absorbing all the useful info. Decided a couple of weeks ago to go for it and order some materials to build my first board. Got everything I could find here in the UK - fibreglass, resin, CF... I had to order the edge and base materials and inserts from europe though and they've not turned up, I ordered from boardbuildingsupply.eu after seeing that they had been recommended on here to others in the UK... That was three weeks ago and I haven't heard anything. Luckily it was paypal so I'll get my money back. Anyone know whats going on with them? Any other supplier I can use? Any help would be greatly appreciated, I'm itching to get started.
Hi!
I ordered som materials from boardbuildingsupply but they never sent the stuff. I really tried to contact them but no result.

So I started my own shop... :D
Exactly the very same story over here... haven't heard from the guy for about 2 years now. Therefore we started our own shop as well.