How much $$ are you spending per board or pair of skis?

For discussions related to the type of materials to build skis/snowboards and where to get them.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

How much does one pair of skis or snowboard cost you to build?

$25-50
No votes
$51-75
6%
$76-100
6%
$101-125
25%
$126-150
63%

Total votes: 16

WhitePine

How much $$ are you spending per board or pair of skis?

Post by WhitePine »

So I was talking to a fellow builder a few weeks back and our conversation turned to how much each pair of finished skis are costing him. I'm curious if any of you keep track of this. I'm sure it varies quite a bit since some of you outsource dye-sub top sheets, have your cores CNC'd in bulk, or use fabric topsheets, etc. I just think it'd be interesting to see how affordable some of you are able to make this hobby of ours. Hopefully I'm not crossing a line by asking people to share this sort of thing.

Don't include any capital expenses such as how much your press cost to build or tools, etc, unless you have one time use items like vacuum bags or something. I'll make this a poll in case you want to remain anonymous.

EDIT: Some of my poll options didn't show up. Maybe I used too many. I guess just userhe last option if its more than that.
Last edited by WhitePine on Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

The only large variable I have is the topsheet which can go from a few bucks (cotton fabric) to $30-$40 for wood veneer. So for me it can go as high as $185 or so. Most of the other costs are about the same for each set of skis.

That's w/o bindings.
Jekul

Post by Jekul »

My reply was based on material-only cost. As a good friend of mine put it while talking to a large utility company about their poor service:

"You don't want to know what my time's worth, you couldn't afford it!"
vinman

Post by vinman »

I'm probably spending around $200 on materials. This does not include shipping costs which adds around $30-50 per pair. This is especially true for epoxy and long material like sidewall.

Btw sidewall directly from crown is way cheaper you just may need some lead time when ordering it.

I could probably cut a few dollars ordering stuff posted on our forums.
Fighting gravity on a daily basis
www.Whiteroomcustomskis.com
knightsofnii

Post by knightsofnii »

in actual dollars my latest boards have been 115 ish per board:

but, if you consider time is money, well... I. cant. get. shit.

:(
Doug
knightsofnii

Post by knightsofnii »

it all depends on how much you buy of something, and the prices of the things available that you need.

But yea the most expensive components were the printed base, then the core. Diecutting base knocked price down a bunch. Coming up with my own top graphic scenarios saved me about 12 bucks on tops but I'm doubling the amount of top layer epoxy so its maybe a 6dollar net. Small things here and there
Doug
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

I finally added it all up this past weekend, cause I never had before. With bamboo cores, plastic sidewalls, entropy resin, and sublimated nylon topsheets I came to $198.
rockaukum

Post by rockaukum »

I don't see "Priceless" as an option? And as a suggestion, Don't leave your computer on, "the boss" may see this and that would be the end of ski building as I know it! Just like the jeep (Just Empty Every Pocket = JEEP)
ra