Fabric layouts

For discussions related to the type of materials to build skis/snowboards and where to get them.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

feldybikes

Post by feldybikes »

What the guy from Vectorply said mostly makes sense, but to say torsional loads are exactly 45 degrees is BS. (I know I'm putting words into his mouth...er...keyboard, but I'm just trying to get my point across) In reality, they're going to go all over the place, but "mostly diagonally" or something like that is probably more accurate. Putting fibers at about 45 is just a good way to get a good average.

Simple vector addition says all you need is 0 and 90 and you'll get stiffness in the 45 direction. It's just not as efficient as putting the fibers in about 45 in the first place. Furthermore, the 45 is going to add something to the longitudinal stiffness of the ski, just not a whole lot compared to the 90, which probably consists of heavier/more dense fibers in most layups anyway.

This is all coming from general physics knowledge and nothing specific to skis, of which I've built a whopping 2 pairs at this point. [/u]
feldybikes

Post by feldybikes »

double post!