What are you looking for in a ski building epoxy?

For discussions related to the type of materials to build skis/snowboards and where to get them.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

Richuk wrote:Clearly I'm no expert, I fail my own definition as detailed above.

I do think it is a little bit obvious that not applying epoxy to an areas will leave dry spots. If this the sort of issue you are struggling with, I would read through Tony's posts again. Contacting him directly is probably off the cards, which is a shame because I now have a qualitatively different laminate reflected in a much tighter fibre to resin ratio.
care to elaborate on the qualitative differences and how you achieve these different ratios?
sammer wrote: I'm still a tang on top guy.
Richuk

Post by Richuk »

The approach is called hot melt processing, the quantitative differences ... I sleep better.
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

I really appreciate the intentional obtuseness or cryptic responses.
I continue to assume you are not a native English speaker.
sammer wrote: I'm still a tang on top guy.
Brazen

Post by Brazen »

Personally I believe you weaken any epoxy leaving it under heat past the time it's set...if this is what you're talking about. It gets brittle.
"86% of the time it works 100% of the time".
Caveman Snowskates

Post by Caveman Snowskates »

I have read every post in this thread. I know nothing... let me start with that so nobody thinks I am an expert...lol...

Every one of you has talked about the Forrest products and heating the mold... or at least that's the short of it...

What about the West Systems "cold" epoxy set-up?

Is this just crap or can I make a good ski with it?

I am just starting out and want to know... from all you experts here... well, at least from the people who have made a ski before with both heated and not heated epoxies.

Thanks!
chrismp

Post by chrismp »

this has been discussed many times on here:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=west+epoxy+site%3A ... FphpBB2%2F
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

Caveman Snowskates wrote:I have read every post in this thread. I know nothing... let me start with that so nobody thinks I am an expert...lol...

Every one of you has talked about the Forrest products and heating the mold... or at least that's the short of it...

What about the West Systems "cold" epoxy set-up?

Is this just crap or can I make a good ski with it?

I am just starting out and want to know... from all you experts here... well, at least from the people who have made a ski before with both heated and not heated epoxies.

Thanks!
Yes you can use West System epoxy. I have used it at room temp as well as QCM/Forrest epoxy at room temp. It just takes longer to cure. Heat makes it cure faster... and stronger I believe.

The West system took a long long time to cure. It stayed rubbery for a couple days but finally hardened. Not sure if this is a typical characteristic of West or if it was measured/mixed improperly. I was helping out a fellow builder who used West because it was easily available. It's the only experience I've had with West so far.

To make it easy on your self, use what others have used. I did a search in the forum tonight on resinreaserch (another manufacturer of epoxy) and that lead me to at least 1/2 dozen other epoxy products.
sammer

Post by sammer »

West works fine, don't let anybody tell you different.
It's just stupid expensive for what it is.

The nice thing about west systems is you can literally find it anywhere.
I've got a couple pairs of skis built with west that have +100 days on them

I know a few people have had good success with resin research.
http://www.resinresearch.net/id6.html
Prices include shipping to cont. US.
I will probably give this one a try next after the QCM ( now forrest ) is gone.
My buddy JV is using it and it looks crystal clear.
I'll be looking at 2070/3100s. Should do well in a room temp cure and thin enough to wet out easily.
**(I have yet to try it so don't point fingers if it doesn't work for you)**

All epoxy will benefit from some heat, I have an old electric blanket ( like on the bed at grandmas ) works OK to help with initial and post cure heat.

sam
You don't even have a legit signature, nothing to reveal who you are and what you do...

Best of luck to you. (uneva)
SHIF

Post by SHIF »

sammer wrote:...I'll be looking at 2070/3100s...sam
I can affirm this exact combination of Resin Research products. Works perfectly for ski building in my heated press. Holds up very well on the mountain, so far I don't notice any difference in the durability compaired with QCM epoxy.

-S