Triaxial Carbon Fiberglass?

For discussions related to the type of materials to build skis/snowboards and where to get them.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

WhitePine

Triaxial Carbon Fiberglass?

Post by WhitePine »

So I was perusing Voile-USA's website today and I clicked on the Board Tech section for the V-tail splitboard. They are saying they are using triaxial carbon fiberglass. From the picture it looks like the carbon is weaved into the fiberglass. Anybody here ever used the stuff?

http://www.voile-usa.com/Merchant2/merc ... ct_Count=2
ggardner90

Post by ggardner90 »

snowboard materials has some. the carbon doesn't go edge to edge like theirs does but same idea.

i tried it on my first pair, i didn't really like it and prefer to use carbon and fiberglass separate.
OnDeck

Re: Triaxial Carbon Fiberglass?

Post by OnDeck »

Well, it's definitely not triaxial fibreglass (which I really want, anyone have any ideas?), it's triaxial glass with carbon tows in the 0 direction. Pretty standard stuff.

It seems like a hell of a lot of carbon for a board, but the last time I flexed a voile i practically gave myself a hernia, so that might explain it.

Personally, i like having the carbon tows in glass. I find I almost always need carbon and it just makes it so convenient.
WhitePine

Post by WhitePine »

I guess the main drawback would be that you don't have as much control over your design. For example, you can't opt to put less carbon in it. However, It probably makes it a little neater and easier for layup if your design is already optimized.
Richuk

Post by Richuk »

Aren't they Kam's graphics ....?
WhitePine

Post by WhitePine »

Richuk wrote:Aren't they Kam's graphics ....?

What do you mean?
Richuk

Post by Richuk »

Kontour 2009
WhitePine

Post by WhitePine »

These?
OnDeck

Post by OnDeck »

Oh Christ. Topo contours as graphic is done to DEATH. I can't believe someone has the gold-plated balls to do this again. Rossi, Voile, Prior, Jones...i swear there's more.

Kinda like those skis though.
Bloefeld

Re: Triaxial Carbon Fiberglass?

Post by Bloefeld »

OnDeck wrote:Well, it's definitely not triaxial fibreglass (which I really want, anyone have any ideas?), it's triaxial glass with carbon tows in the 0 direction. Pretty standard stuff.

It seems like a hell of a lot of carbon for a board, but the last time I flexed a voile i practically gave myself a hernia, so that might explain it.

Personally, i like having the carbon tows in glass. I find I almost always need carbon and it just makes it so convenient.
Try A & P Technology. They make both Triax as well as braided triax in a huge number of variants. They know more about Triax than anyone, and their staff is great. http://www.braider.com/Products/QISO-Br ... abric.aspx

Cheers,

Bloefeld
OnDeck

Post by OnDeck »

Wow, thanks Bloefeld. This is almost exactly ewhat i was looking for. Can;t beleive i didn't find it, thanks again!

Anyone have any experience with this? I'm going to have to figure out what weight to use.
Bloefeld

Post by Bloefeld »

OnDeck wrote:Wow, thanks Bloefeld. This is almost exactly ewhat i was looking for. Can;t beleive i didn't find it, thanks again!

Anyone have any experience with this? I'm going to have to figure out what weight to use.
Go light with some glass in a 0/90 knit next to the core. The triax is going to stiffen the ski length wise, so I would go with very little glass in the 90 degree direction for the glass. The 0 direction glass will stiffen the ski torsionally and should make it grippy on hard snow.

I haven't got enough of a handle on the weight of glass that people use and in my work stuff I use up to 192 oz on each side of a panel.

Cheers,

Bloefeld
OnDeck

Post by OnDeck »

Agreed, a light glass is all that's needed i woudl think. Did you mean to say 19oz? Iwas thinking of going way lighter than that.

I'll keep in touch and let you know how it goes. Thanks for the pointer!
Bloefeld

Glass

Post by Bloefeld »

OnDeck wrote:Agreed, a light glass is all that's needed i woudl think. Did you mean to say 19oz? Iwas thinking of going way lighter than that.

I'll keep in touch and let you know how it goes. Thanks for the pointer!
No I did not mean 19 oz. I use 192 oz in one of my products, 4 layers of 48 oz 0/90 knit.

There is a lot more to selecting a glass configuration than simply weight.

Knit glass gives you at least 25% more strength than the same weight and orientation of woven/roving. Sail cloth adds strength but little else to the performance of the ski, great perhaps for repairs in a pinch but useless for much else in dynamic applications.

This site tells you a lot about what I am speaking to. http://fiberex.com/index.php?option=com ... Itemid=101 and

http://secure.owenscorning.net/cgi-bin/ ... ubPath=%2f

I would think that something that was about 12 to 18 oz with as much on the 90 bias as possible would be a good start.

As to resin ratios, shoot for 40 percent resin by aerial weight of the glass. The chopped layer is probably un-necessary but will add some adhesion to the core and bulk up the layer. I would go without it unless I found the core wasn't getting wetted out.

When I build I am going to use less weight on the bottom of the ski than on the top. All skis fail in compression and to prevent that more glass is needed on the top.

The stiffness of the ski is determined by the cube of the thickness of the distance between the center point between the top layer of glass and the bottom layer of glass, all else being equal.

I look forward to your results. If you call any of these suppliers and tell them you are doing some experimental pre-product launch work, they will probably send you free samples in reasonable quantities. Reasonable varies, but for the carbon get enough for at least two sets of skis and the glass ask for about twice that amount. They can only say no.

If they do, drop me a line and I may be able to get someone else to get the samples for you.

Cheers,

Bloefeld
skibum

Post by skibum »

What Prior is up to:
"The quest for a lighter construction has been ongoing in the Prior lab since 2005. In the spring of 2010 Prior partnered with a custom carbon manufacturer and developed a woven triaxial carbon (XTC) material as there was nothing in the market that provided the characteristics it was looking for. By reinforcing this material with aramid and adding special rubber dampening to the chassis Prior has been able to replicate its legendary splitboard ride with a total weight savings averaging 17%* across its complete line of splitboards."

So sounds like a carbon triax with aramid